Self catheterization

16 years 10 months ago #6078 by timb
Replied by timb on topic Self catheterization
hey vin
just to second the above; I had a cystectomy and in 7 or 8 months now have probably cathed four or five times and that was only to prove to myself that I could do it. It took me about 6 months to get back to work and its not a process you should rush unless you have to. Im not sure about the sphincter question because I was told both things prior to my surgery and I didn't much care what it was called as long as it stays shut at the right times! The cathing is actually done with a much softer and thinner tube than the cystoscopy and there's various gels and things to help with a smooth procedure. People who do it regularly tell me you get used to it and like everything else it becomes normal to you. But it's odds on you won't have to do it regularly.

Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 10 months ago #6074 by pweization
Replied by pweization on topic Self catheterization
Zach,
Whew. I just can't imagine doing that. Whenever I'm in for an appointment my eyes are clenched shut so tight they water. What is the difference between your surgery and the others that I've read about here? Most seem to have to self cath daily. I must say that the artifiial spincter sounds incredible. Does a cystectomy remove the urethral sphincter if you opt for nerve sparing? Please forgive the barrage of questions.
Thanks,
-Vin

34 yr old male
diagnosed 10/13/06
T1G3 CIS

16 years 10 months ago #6071 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Self catheterization
Vin, I've *never* had to self-catheterize except in the hospital because the nurse made me do it just so I knew how. In my real life, I've never had to, or even come close to having to do it.

That was a big fear of mine. But, to quote Mark Twain, "I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened." The fear and apprehension was far worse than the reality.

And I was back to work exactly a month after my surgery, but bear in mind I was in the hospital ten days after the surgery, and then, after a week at home, I was back in the hospital for some semi-unrelated GI bleeding. If not for the second time in the hospital it would have been three weeks. Of course since we own the business I cut myself a little slack... :)

So I wouldn't worry about self-catheterization too much.

I worried enough for both of us.

Zach

I'm going to PM you my cell number--you can call me anytime.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 10 months ago #6067 by pweization
Self catheterization was created by pweization
Hi all,
I'm possibly facing a cystectomy and just had a few questions about neobladders.

Is self catheterization as uncomfortable as cystoscopy? More? Less?
Does nerve sparing surgery have anything to do with this?
How often does self catheterization need to be performed?
Has anyone been back to work in less than a month following cystectomy w/neobladder?

I'm trying to decide which diversion would be best for me.
Thanks for any input. I could really use some details.
-Vin

34 yr old male
diagnosed 10/13/06
T1G3 CIS

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne