Self catheterization

16 years 10 months ago #6096 by n3qtrtme
Replied by n3qtrtme on topic Self catheterization
First, let me tell you... I am a female so maybe it's not as bad to self-cath as it is for a male. Since my neobladder installation on 4/25/07 I have been dealing with hypercontinence and having to self-cath almost every time I pee. I was WIGGED OUT (just like you) about the whole procedure when the ostomy nurse made me sit through the self cath video, then made me try in the doctor's office. Not fun at all. Once I got home and was able to relax in my own bathroom with the cathether and the lube, it wasn't quite so bad. It only took me 2 or 3 tries during the day and by that night, I was self cathing in the dark in the middle of the night. Not nearly as awful as I had figured. No pain, very very very little discomfort.

Now that I know I will need to be self-cathing regularly (unless we can resolve the hypercontinence issue), I am using the medical supply company recommended by the ostomy nurse to try out all different kinds. There are a lot of different catheters available, all of which are far nicer and more comfortable than the red rubber one provided by the hospital. Some even come in "travel packs" with sterile water for the lubricant.

You'll do fine but you will be freaked out when they show you how to get the catheter in at the doctor's office or hospital. Just keep in mind that it's a lot less stressful when and if you have to perform the cathing at home. Hopefully with your neobladder you will not have to cath at all! That's the ideal result of the surgery... I am just an oddball. ::)

Good luck and trust me - you will be fine.

Christine Springfield
T3/G3 - Squamous Cell/Transitional Cell Carcinomas
RC w/Studer Pouch 4/25/07

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 10 months ago #6095 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Self catheterization

That's actually a "feint". :) And it won't work. She won't fall for it.

But you're worrying about something that's way down the road and wont' be as bad as you think.

Go out and have a nice dinner somewhere tonight. I just picked some fresh raspberries and peaches from our garden and can hardly wait until dessert.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 10 months ago #6094 by pweization
Replied by pweization on topic Self catheterization
Zach,
I guess I'll never be able to fully understand how you guys self cath until that nurse is actually standing there waiting for me to do it. I'll probably be a fainter. At least I can pretend to faint. I know I'll rise to the occasion when it calls.

Warren,
You guys make me sound like the biggest wuss on this website. I guess I've been pretty fortunate thus far. I think if my uro told me to self cath after my Turb I'd have told him where to go.

Dave,
Welcome to the thread. I look foward to hearing about your history and experiences on this strange journey. I've really found a lot of strength here and I'm sure you'll be able to add to that with your wisdom. The news about the ED pills and the recovery of a sex life is especially encouraging. Please keep the posts coming and thanks for sharing.

-Vin

34 yr old male
diagnosed 10/13/06
T1G3 CIS

16 years 10 months ago #6092 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Self catheterization
Self catheterization is not that awful. I've only done it once. Perhaps I found it easy because I was hoping for relief. The day after my initial TURB when the cancer was removed I had to run to the ER and get catheterized for urinary retention. The next night the same thing happened, so my urologist gave me catheters and told me what to do in case I ever needed to. About a week later, I had a clot that wouldn't pass and obstructed urine flow, so I tried the self catheterization. Unfortunately the clot blocked the catheter, but when I removed the catheter, I had a phenomenal stream until the clot fell back into the way, so I got brief relief. That was one long night. But anyway, self catheterization is not so bad.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 10 months ago #6089 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Self catheterization

I'll bet Dr. Ginsberg has never heard that one before! :D

You don't really have a choice. A very stern nurse stands there and makes you do it. No cath, no surgery. I was really unhappy about this--she came in about 10:30 pm while the Go-Lytely was churning inside, and sprang that on me. I told her she had to be kidding... no one could voluntarily do such a thing. But apparently I didn't have a good enough excuse thought up, because she wouldn't leave until I did it. She told me afterwards she's had a couple of guys faint on her. We are truly a bunch of babies.

These are the right circumstances. But it's over with quickly. Be like the Nike ad. Just do it. Remember what Yoda said.

Coincidently, today is the one-year anniversary of when I checked into USC and did the self-catheter routine for the first time. But just to balance the universe, on this day in history, 1847 to be exact, the donut was invented. Things always seem to even out in the end.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 10 months ago #6088 by pweization
Replied by pweization on topic Self catheterization
Man. That clears up a lot for me. Much obliged guys (and girls). I guess it would be a little different having an orgasm without an erection but hey, what can you do? Do the AMS prosthetics come in different sizes? Can you get an extra large one?
I'm still trying to picture the scenario where I'm staring at a catheter and thinking about inserting it. I just don't know if I can do it. I guess I never thought I'd ever let anyone do that to me but that goes out the window given the right circumstances. If my neobladder is about to over extend itself I'd probably be jamming that thing in there pretty quick.
I feel very lucky to have everyone here to bounce these thoughts off of. I don't know where I'd be otherwise.
Thanks again,
-Vin

34 yr old male
diagnosed 10/13/06
T1G3 CIS

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne