Recent POST-OP

12 years 11 months ago #37604 by alanjay
Replied by alanjay on topic Recent POST-OP
HELP!!!!

came up with new problem (I HATE PROBLEMS, BUT I HAVE A BIG ONE) I started changing my ostomy bags myself, I got rid of the visiting nurse. Problem is that now after 1 good replacement it is leaking constantly. I had to change 5 pouches in 2 days!.
Will someone please provide me with their process of changing their pouch in detail. Here is what I have been doing
1. used adhesive remover to take off old eakin
2. used adhesive remover to remove remnants on my skin
3. put eakin on new pouch
4. use barrier wipes liberally
5 allow to dry and drain any urine.
6. apply new pouch

My Stoma has become an inny, it is below the opening, if that matters. I called convatec for suggestions and their suggestion was to put the eakin on my skin. that lasted 12 hours before it leaked.
HELP!!! ANY SUGGESTIONS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 18 hours ago #37553 by BillM
Replied by BillM on topic Recent POST-OP
Your right Alan, I have seen the same pads at the big box pet stores for puppy training! If you start using them... be sure you move them as soon as you get up or they might get used by the dog!

Bill

5.24.10 Final staging T2G3 7.28.10 Started Gemcitabine, Cisplatin neoadjunctive chemotherapy
11.2.10 RC with NEO 11.18.11 First year CT shows possible liver tumor
12.8.11 Confirmation of TCC BC mets to the liver 6.27.12 Final round of Dose Dense MVAC
7.26.12 Final scans showed no tumor or no...

13 years 19 hours ago #37551 by alanjay
Bill, they look just like the training pads that I used for my dog. I will look for them. much better than washing a comforter all of the time.

13 years 1 day ago - 13 years 1 day ago #37525 by BillM
Alan,
You might look at Walgreens or Walmart for disposable mattress pads. They come in all sizes. The size I was using was 30" X 36". They are usualy with the adult diapers and pads. They sure saved on laundry and getting up in the middle of the night to change bed sheets. Hospitals and nursing homes use them as well.

They look like these, Walmart and Walgreens have them in smaller packages:

Bill

5.24.10 Final staging T2G3 7.28.10 Started Gemcitabine, Cisplatin neoadjunctive chemotherapy
12.8.11 Confirmation of TCC BC mets to the liver 6.27.12 Final round of Dose Dense MVAC

13 years 2 days ago #37521 by alanjay
Bill, your timing is perfect, I gave up diapers for tighty whiteys and pads. I tried my wifes pad and only had problem that hose from night bag came loose and have to wash bed linen. wife ok with this so I am as well.
I am learning the hard way that timing my bag changes is not a good method. I was doing bag change every 2 hours but had about 3/4 bag at on time and 2 hours later the bag started to leak. I am going to have o come up with a better solution. Any suggestions out there

13 years 2 days ago #37520 by BillM
Alan,

Glad to see your doing well! Getting out and around people feels like no other freedom after going through treatment. Try some of the pads for the dripping, even some made for women as they are very thin and absorbent, and cheap. Some of the pads feel like a rolled up towel stuck down in the undies. Keep getting better!

Bill

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne