Recent POST-OP

13 years 1 week ago #37441 by alanjay
Replied by alanjay on topic Recent POST-OP
Thanks Herb,
I have a 2000cc night bag that I got from my hospital as a parting gift. my wife stuck it into a small plastic pail. It fits my ostomy bag with a tight fit. Due to leakage I have to use DEPENDS and the end of the catheter stays in there well at this time. I have 2 straps at home to use when I need to, thanks for the tip. I had my first leaky bag yesterday that a home health nurse put on. I was no able to stop the leak with stomahesive powder, but my wife and I were able to sucessfully put on a new bag. This was my first time I put the bag on myself correctly. My wife was thrilled that she could do it. We did it in less than 5 min total time. BTW I am 56 and I lost my mother and sister to cancer as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 1 week ago #37440 by alanjay
Mike, glad you found me. I use a 2000cc catheter that is rigged to fit onto the end my pouch. I usually drink up to I go to bed as well. I have 2 bottle of water on my headboard but have only needed to drink once so far. Only problem is that my surgeon did not seal off my urethra so that I dribble when I stand up. He said it will stop in a few months so I have to use a daily DEPENDS. I figure that is a small price to pay.

13 years 1 week ago #37439 by alanjay
I have night drainage bag, the hospital I had my surgery gave it to me as a departing gift. I am able to sleep on my back and on 1 side but not the other side yet. I get up a few times at night to make sure drainage is ok and it is usually good. sometimes I just lay on my back and it will drain into the bag in 5 min. No other problems, thank the lord.
Thanks for the info and good words

13 years 1 week ago #37435 by Herb
Replied by Herb on topic Recent POST-OP
Hi Alan: I had ileal conduit 9/11/10. I use a foley bag at night and sleep through the night --- was not able to do that when I had my bladder abd prostate. There are some little tricks you can learn about how best to use the bag, I use two strech straps to hold first part of tube and bag drain to my leg and use a litle tape where hoses attach just to be on safe side, plus putting the drain bag in plastic garbage pail again to be on safe side. I had a few mishaps learning how to deal with tube but now very seldom have any trouble. I am glad you are doing better and better day by day. I still am adjusting, like I have allergic reactions to bags, but it simply a process of learning day by day. By and large I have adjusted to the bag and do just about everything I did before --- remembering I am 72 I feel just fine and very grateful to be a cancer survivor as I know you are, so hang in there. Herb †

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

13 years 1 week ago #37425 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Recent POST-OP
I wondered about that 'night bag' thing also.

I don't have an ileal but I don't have night time continence with my neobladder so I just use a condom catheter and 2000cc bag. They have them even bigger (4000cc) if that doesn't do the trick.

I drink right up to bedtime and keep a liter of water on my nightstand that I drink from on and off through the night and I don't usually have any more that 1000cc in the bag in the morning--usually much less than that.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 1 week ago #37421 by Babsiebob
Replied by Babsiebob on topic Recent POST-OP
Hi alanjay
Why don't you use a night drainage bag so you don't have to get up at all during the night. They are wonderful. Glad you are doing so well, I had my RC with ileal conduit in June of 08 and after a few bumps in the road, I am doing great. Good luck.
Barbara

Dx 4-28-08
pT3a no mo
Rc with Ileal Conduit on 6-09-08
2nd surgery on 6-27-09 for ureter leak
Renal failure on 7-01-09 nephy tube and then stent on 7-09-09
so far so good

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne