invasive 3 bc

13 years 6 months ago #34581 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic invasive 3 bc
michael...what did the final path report say? Were any of the nodes affected?..or just into the prostate?
Catheters are notorious for causing infection so i can understand why Dr. Koch did not want you using one. Mike uses a condom catheter in the evening which is a bit different i think. One gets extremely sleep deprived when trying to train the neo or the Indiana at first. Dr. Koch is a top rated uro/surgeon in the bladder cancer field and i'm willing to bet if you just hang in there you will get it trained.
pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 6 months ago #34577 by michael305
invasive 3 bc was created by michael305
My surgery for my bc was done on sept 3 by Michael koch at IU in indianapolis . I was walking around the very next 2 days. I was able to leave the hospital after 4 days and go home to fort wayne in.

Durin my 1st week home about the 4th night I started getting a very high fever and my wife rushed me to a local hospital.they wanted to do some test and I also informed them of my neo bladder surgery. they have never dealt with anyone with a neo bladder for the fact that they(nurses) did not understand the flushing procedure so my wife had to do it.after finding my white blood cells extremely high they confirmed i had a blood infection which originated in my catherter.

I made so my urologist was informed of my situation because It took 16hrs before I spoke to a doctor and a nurse had stated that they would most likely change my catherter.he told them under no condition should they change that tube and gave me an antibiotic thats used to treat amthrax. I left for home after 3 days and was told that the infection would still be there till the bag was removed.

I seen my uroligist on the 28 of sept and he was really pleased with his work and ordered the catherter removed thak god!.my next step is learning to go to the bathroom and holding it in at night long enough to wake up and go. I do us a pad although at first i acted too manley and my wife told me to man down a bit so i did. its been inside of 30 days since the removal of my catherter and i was talked into using an external catherter so i would be able to sleep. that was 1 1/2 weeks ago. I recieved a free sample from bio derm and when I ran out i found out my insurance would pay for this but they needed to get an okay from my surgen and he very quickly stated no?

I was a little upset but thought about it and realized i would never learn to sleep through the night with out this thing if i kept using it. I am now just waking up 2 maybe 3 times a night to empty my bladder and also do not dring fluids after 7 pm. I am so happy and the best park thank god is that I have not gotten clogged with mucas and have not had to catherter myself. I thought my life was over because of my bladder and prostate being removed and having a new bladder made from a piece of my intestine but i was wrong. oct 28 my urologist will inform me of any needed chemo being he told me on the 28 of sept i wouldnt need it but wanted to check with his oncologist and get his opinion. I am 47 yr old male in fairly decent health and in good shape btw. please feel free to place this where it should go

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne