The struggle has been in vain- it's spread- update on Bob

16 years 3 months ago #12638 by momof4
Lorrie,

I am so sorry to hear your news. You are all in my thoughts. I also suggest a second opinion, if only to hear what other options are available to Bob. Did they mention radiation? I say that because since the nodules are relatively small, it could probably be done with just a few treatments. I would look for a Radiation Oncologist.

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 3 months ago #12635 by Julie
I'm sorry your news is not any better. I hope you can see an oncologist quickly. Is there any way you can get a second opinion? It was difficult at times but I made sure I went to every appointment with my husband and spent hours at the hospital and made sure I talked to the Doctors. Still we have had to push, push, push, to get anything done at any reasonable speed.

Did they explain what in his history made surgery inadvisable?

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

16 years 3 months ago #12633 by bobmac2
I haven't posted anything in quite awhile (although I have been reading everyday). It seemed like every time I posted, something else happened. Well, even without posting it's happened. When Bob was 1st diagnosed & it was decided that the bladder must come out, we were told that he would be cancer-free after surgery. They told us that if there was any possibility of cancer anywhere else, they would not do the neo-bladder. They supposedly checked him out thoroughly, he had bone scans, CT scans, X-rays etc & we were assured that the cancer was contained in the bladder, it was not in the muscle blah, blah, blah. So, he had surgery on Oct.2/07. I'm sure you all read our previous postings about infections & re-admissions & diapers ec. It's been a nightmare & total mis-management. During 1 of his re-admissions they performed another CT scan & lo & behold, found a lung nodule. Someone took another look at the CT scan & found 3 lung nodules (the lack of communication has been another issue- why they would tell a drugged up patient & not the next of kin is beyond my conprehension, but that's a whole other story). Anyhow, Bob has been home for quite awhile & doing quite well, gaining back some weight etc. When they let him out they said they would schedule another CT scan & let us know when. Just before Xmas the hospital called to say that he missed the appt. We had not been notified as agreed. Anyway, it was re-scheduled for last week & they called on Mon. to make an appt. to review it. As soon as I heard that they had called, I knew something bad was going to happen. There are 2 growths in 1 lung & 1 in the other so far. The Dr. we saw said that given his history, surgery would not be an option. He will refer us to an oncologist but.............. I am so angry!! They butchered my husband for nothing & I mean butchered!! He is still wearing diapers- they cut all the nerves- he has no sensation or urge to pee. He is(was) a very attractive man of only 61 wearing diapers & pads all the time. We were accepting of that when we thought he would survive. Now, we find out that he is going to die. This Dr. we saw the other day said it looks like these nodules have grown about 3mm in a couple of months. That's it for now- I feel a little better for venting. Regards to you all- Lorrie

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne