Neo bladder question

16 years 5 months ago #10476 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic Neo bladder question
Hi Betsy,

Welcome! I have a neobladder. Mine was done in March at Mayo's in Minnesota with the Da Vinci robotics. I did 4 months chemo after the RC so it took a while to get continence issues under control. I have never had to cath - thank goodness. Over all I am very very pleased with mine. Day time is 100% good and nights - I only leak a little maybe every 6 or 7 weeks. Feels better than I hoped for :)
Glad you found us..ask anything, or pm if you'd like.
God Bless, Holly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #10474 by irishguy
Replied by irishguy on topic Neo bladder question
Hi Betsy Mae,

I also had my operation in August. My doc informed me that I should empty my new neo every two hours day and night, for up to six months. This was to insure that the new bladder would not be over stretched and not under too much strain. I’m no expert, but I’m not sure you should holding for so long at this early stage? Maybe you should talk to your doctor about it – just in case.

Good luck,

Karl.

Winning the battle :-)

16 years 5 months ago #10463 by Betsy Mae
Replied by Betsy Mae on topic Neo bladder question
Hi!
I had a neobladder in August of this year. Following surgery I had horrendous complications with a klebsiella infection which made me feel worse than the actual surgery did! Anyway, 4 weeks since my last hospital discharge I seem to be ok. I do not seem able to void urine without a catheter but as I am managing to last between 4-5 hours depending on what I drink I suppose this is not too bad. I can occasionally last all night too! I do get a 'stomach ache' which lets me know I need to empty the neobladder. My best volume has been 450ml, which considering I found out pre-op that my bladder capacity was only 375ml,so I feel I have a better quality of life in many ways as I'm no longer dashing to the loo all the time. Wo9ulod be interested to hear about other women and their neobladder experiences.

16 years 5 months ago #10456 by irishguy
Hi Andi,

Thanks for sharing your experience, it helps me to understand my new neo a little better. I too have the pain in my side when my neo becomes close to full. But I’ve never had it at night. It seems to be fading over time too. What I don’t understand is – why empty every 2 ½ hours during the day and then every 4 hours at night?

Karl

16 years 5 months ago #10361 by Andy_D
Replied by Andy_D on topic Neo bladder question
So I have a 12 month old neobladder, and over the first 8 months had obvious pain in my right side which we felt was related to reflux up into the right ureter and kidney. I notced this as my bladder filled to around 400mls (about 2-2 1/2 hours during the day) and this was when I voided. I used to reliably wake with this pain in the night, too, so I stopped setting the alarm at night. My surgeon said he wasn't concerned at that point about damaging the neobladder, as I had virtually no post-voiding residual on catheterizing and also on the funny little machine they used to measure this at the clinic.

However, over the last 4 or 5 months, I have noticed my capacity increasing a lot with no obvious increase in pain or fullness sensation. I have peeed out up to 750mls. I spoke to my surgeon and we felt that this may lead on to the whole baggy bladder thing, so I now went and bought a watch which has a count-down timer (I set this at 2:15), which launches into a stopwatch, to tell me how far past the 2:15 I have gone. I try to keep intervals around 2:30, to keep volumes down. I have also gone back to setting a timer at 4 hours in the night. My understanding is that keep the bladder healthy it needs to not be overstretched, and also to be emptied completely. this sometimes takes quite a while, especially in the night.

Also, a lot of people get colonized with gut type bacteria, and I think the best way to deal with this is to keep the neobladder flushed well (drink lots). I have ended up on long term low dose antibiotics, but this is not ideal. I may ask to come off them in a few more months.

I am not sure how useful this is, but this has been my experience. I guess it would be interesting to hear from people with longer term neobladders with regard to problems, and how they kept their neos healthy.

Best wishes,

Andy.

16 years 5 months ago #10345 by irishguy
Hi Half Irish Pat!

Thanks for the info. My doc sent me home from hosiptal with the instruction to empty every two hours day and night for up to six months. This I generally stay within, but lately have felt a noticeable difference in capacity. It feels like I’m getting close to optimal so I guess I should be careful.

Thanks,

Karl

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne