Neo bladder question

16 years 4 months ago #11009 by mikeg
Replied by mikeg on topic Neo bladder question
Hi Leigh,

I had a lengthy discussion with my doctor today about the need for catheterizing. His opinion was, as I understood him, that it is only necessary if you are unable to void or have not voided for more than 6-8 hours. It is used to break up any mucous plugs.

i guess every doctor has a different opinion and maybe it's based on the type of neo-bladder you have.

Mike

Michael
Age 58
Stage T2-T3, muscle invasive
Married to Eileen
2 sons, ages 20 and 23

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 months ago #11003 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Neo bladder question

I think we've all chanted that particular mantra.

If there's one thing I've learned in the last year it's that we have to strike "just a few more minutes" from our vocabulary. When you have a neobladder and you have to go, the clock is already ticking. That's one of the problems with getting almost back to normal--we start to feel like our formerly invincible (and totally continent) selves. We are--almost. But that "almost" can get us into trouble.

I'm still trying to put into practice that when I feel the urge to go, I should go right now. You can procrastinate on a lot of things--haircuts, trips to the dentist, mowing the lawn--but telling your bladder "just a few more minutes", especially in public, is a lesson you really don't want to learn the hard way.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 4 months ago #10809 by irishguy
Replied by irishguy on topic Neo bladder question
Hi Leigh,

I don’t know, it seems different doctors have different approaches to catheterizing? Unless someone else here on this forum might know the reasons for, for and against - I’ll just have to wait for my next check-up to find out.

Your continence is good for the time since your op. I too had dribbles after a sneeze or cough, but it gradually improved to 100% day and about 98% night. I’m now about three and a half months post-op. I’m sure you’ll see similar improvement in the coming weeks.

Have to agree about the cold weather too. Since it has turned pretty chilly here in Ireland, I have noticed a feeling I can only describe as quite like the urge of my original bladder to pee... a little spooky! And yes, I’m going more often too, especially after being active outdoors.
Karl

Winning the battle :-)

16 years 4 months ago #10786 by Leigh
Replied by Leigh on topic Neo bladder question
Hey guys,

I am starting to wonder now why I was told to self cath and to continue to do so for the duration. My Urologist mentioned that it was important to cleanse the neo-bladder at least once a week from now on to reduce the risk of bladder stones and other neo-bladder health issues. Not sure what other neo-bladder health issues he was talking about.

From the time I left the hopital after the catheters were removed voiding was never an issue thankfully...so self cath for me is never to void only to cleanse. I pee every two hours sometimes stretching to every three hours. I have 99% continence during the day and 90% during the night. I wear the Tena mens towel in my underwear during day and night for any leakage. Leakage occurs when I sneaze or cough ...when I have a few dribbles lol

I have noticed that since the weather has been turning colder recently over here in Holland I tend to dribble more often during the day and my frequency of needing to void has increased during cold spells to once sometimes twice an hour...

Regards
Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007
RC/Neobladder ,Studer Pouch, September 2007
Erasmus Centrum Rotterdam
TNM Classification: pT4 N2 Mo
4 cycles aduvant chemo Gemzar & Cisplatinum

16 years 4 months ago #10785 by timb
Replied by timb on topic Neo bladder question
I've personally never done self cath except at the very beginning to prove that I could. my uro onc nurse said they'd prefer it if I didn't. I gave myself at least one infection doing it at the beginning which is also a risk.

tim

16 years 4 months ago #10758 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Neo bladder question
I don't know Karl...some have never done it like Zachary......a lot of women have to do it forever as they are more prone to hypocontinence.......i'm thinking its an individual thing with whatever doctor or institution you have your surgery done??
Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne