Replied by rugrat1956 on topic Sharp-Shinned Hawk

elaine f.
dob- 1956
female- Indiana, USA
caucasian
smoked cigarettes- 1975-?
5cm-noninvasive- low grade- papillary
TURB- Sept 11,2006

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #11118 by rugrat1956

elaine f.
dob- 1956
female- Indiana, USA
caucasian
TURB- Sept 11,2006

16 years 5 months ago #11117 by rugrat1956

elaine f.
dob- 1956
female- Indiana, USA
caucasian
TURB- Sept 11,2006

16 years 5 months ago #11116 by rugrat1956
i3.tinypic.com/80myn91.jpg

this is the Krider's Red Tail Hawk that ate my squirrel. These pics aren't that good because I didn't have a very good camera at the time. I was able to get pretty close to him.

elaine f.
dob- 1956
female- Indiana, USA
caucasian
TURB- Sept 11,2006

16 years 5 months ago #11096 by rugrat1956
Rocky, I love your story. If you don't mind I'd like to use it in my e-mag. You put a big old grin on my face with that. Isn't nature just wonderful? Yes, it was a tad hard the first time I saw a hawk hunting my feeders but I came to a great appreciation for the hunting skill of the bird after awhile.

Last Feb I had a Krider's Red Tail, which is about three times the size of the Sharp shinned and twice the size of a Cooper's, capture and eat one of my squirrels. He came back three days in a row before finishing with the carcass. I have some great photos of it. I know I will get hate mail over this, but after I watched the splendour of that bird right outside my windows I was enamoured by hawks. I can't bring myself to kill a fly, but I found myself 'seeding' the open area of my lot with shelled corn to coax the squirrels out into the open and thus easier prey for the Krider's. To my knowledge the Krider's didn't get another squirrel and it wasn't too many days after that we had a major spring thaw

Once the snow cover melted the hawk retreated back into the open fields. I am hoping he will come again this winter. I have a much more powerful camera and lens this year so I am drooling at the thought of the pics I could get. thanks so much for your story. It's things like that that make it all worthwhile for me. Elaine

elaine f.
dob- 1956
female- Indiana, USA
caucasian
TURB- Sept 11,2006

16 years 5 months ago #11062 by Rockyiss
Replied by Rockyiss on topic Sharp-Shinned Hawk
Elaine, My four year old grandson and I were sitting at the window watching the birds at the feeder when a hawk swooped down and grabed a bird , he then proceeded to eat the bird on the ground in front of us. So what to do? Cover his eyes so he doesn,t have a heart attack or let him see the realitys of life. No he wasn,t to bothered about it ,and now at the age of 8 he hunts with me. nice picture. Rocky

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne