Smoking, more prevelant in which states??

16 years 4 weeks ago #15839 by Jeff F
Replied by Jeff F on topic Smoking, more prevelant in which states??
Thanks Ginger. It's morning and I feel a lot better of course. Que Sera Sera as the old saying goes. :)

BC diagnosed 01/2007
Cystoscopes and Miomyacin in 2007
R/C ilial conduit 04/27/2008

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 weeks ago #15821 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Smoking, more prevelant in which states??
Jeff,
We went for a get away as well before Genes surgery, he was stage 3 T-2, we had 6 weeks to think about it so we filled our time best we could. We are married 42 years, he is 67 I am 62, we love the beach, our bodies are still holding there own so bathing suits are not a problem. (YET) I have alot of compassion for you and your spouse as we were there all last summer, I was walking around in a daze mostly and Gene was in shock I guess . The diagnosis came on July 3rd, we hoped for a polyp or something, so it is a shock, Gene has the outside bag, he is 7 months past surgery, he is working full time for now, he is retired but has a small job that its peak time is April and May, so he will go back to 3 days in June. The waiting is horrible, but let me tell you, it will be over soon and you will be glad, Focus on recovery, 4 months after we went to Vegas, trial trip with the new bag, it was great, no problems, Gene broke down several times as family visit alot before surgery, that was hard and now I wish we had a more positive attitude without the worry, but the unknown is scary, so don't be scared, be prepared, and you'll be fine,,Gene will talk to you if you have any questions,,we spoke to Zack when first diagnosed and he was so kind, he made us feel alot better.
I am not surprised about Del Mar, no smoking outside, on the beach. The rules vary over the country , my point is when in Arizona you can pick out the Ohioians, the New Yorkers, and so on....
You'll do great, we have all been there,,,Ginger Beane

16 years 4 weeks ago #15808 by Jeff F
Replied by Jeff F on topic Smoking, more prevelant in which states??
We just spent 3 days at Del Mar last weekend, a seaside village in So Cal. It was our 43rd Anniversary. You cannot smoke anywhere in Del Mar, including the beaches, the sidewalks, public buildings, et cet. I think you can smoke in your car, but wasn't sure. This was a getaway before my pre-op appointment which was on Thursday. So I am scheduled for the 30th of April. I went 64 years without any health problems and here I am with Stage 2 Invasive BC. My scans show no other involvement, including an MRI done on April 5th. Of course, we don't know, do we, until they go in? Taking it a day at a time is a real challenge, I hope I can get better at it.

Jeff Finley

BC diagnosed 01/2007
Cystoscopes and Miomyacin in 2007
R/C ilial conduit 04/27/2008

16 years 4 weeks ago #15807 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Smoking, more prevelant in which states??
We lived in our Motorhome from 1996 to 2007 and travelled around the US. So my observations are that when smoking is banned in eating establishments and then bars the incidence of smoking goes down. When a state allows smoking in public places then you will find smokers. Several years ago I saw a report on the percentage of people who smoke. In my home state it was 22% and only 2 or 3 communities banned smoking at that time.

In states where tobacco is a crop there is less restriction on smoking and chewing tobacco. Just informally I see less people hanging around outside smoking than I used to.

We were smokers and I had quit several times once for 4 years. My husband, son and myself quit smoking the week my Mother-in -law died of lung cancer. So Dick had been smoke free for 13 years when he was diagnosed with bladder cancer. The effects of the toxins in tobacco smoke have a long term effect. My husband also grew up in a home where his Mother was a chain smoker.
I would say to people who want to quit—keep trying. Each time you quit you learn more about what works for you in terms of stopping. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

16 years 4 weeks ago #15799 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Smoking, more prevelant in which states??
Clara, I have to admit I love the smell of a good cigar, and some pipe tobacco as well....although I smoke neither,,,my brother lites a cigar up occasionally when we are in vegas,,,ahhhhh!!! THEN i HAVE TO WAIT TIL OUR NEXT TRIP TO SMELL IT AGAIN!
Ginger

16 years 4 weeks ago #15796 by Clara
Replied by Clara on topic Smoking, more prevelant in which states??
I can remember going to work in Winston-Salem and actually smelling the tobacco some days from the plants.

Also, I grew up working in tobacco for my uncles....my Dad smoked heavy until he was diagnosed with emphysema which got him 10 yrs. after he quit smoking. Thankfully, I never picked the habit up but lived with second hand smoke growing up and also Bob smoked until about 16 years ago.

Many of the farmers in our area that depended on tobacco for a living are now into growing grapes and making wine. The grape vines are certainly prettier than those tobacco stawks.

There are really a lot more restrictions on smoking now than there used to be. I read in the newspaper that the employees of Baptist Hospital have to go off the premises to smoke now.

Clara

Caretaker of husband, Bob.
Stage IV
Diagnosed Jan, 2007

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne