Just \"diagnosed\" yesterday - 37 and very scared

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #41534 by mmc
OK. Glad you can get it done sooner.
Not drinking can make you dehydrated. Urine gets darker when dehydrated. Drink water and that will be fine.
As a general rule you should have at least 64 ounces of water a day. Not coffee/soda/etc. Water.

You still have not been "diagnosed" but at least you will know one way or the other much sooner.

Good luck!
Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 1 month ago #41533 by JD37
Hello everyone. I wanted to post a reply since I just saw another Urologist (Urological Oncologist) today here in Chicago and he reviewed my records and tests thus far. They didn't take a urine sample (which I thought was odd) but I was able to get the Cysto/TURBT scheduled this Thursday morning to remove the polyp/tumor. The doctor told me that it was unusual (but fortunate) that I originally presented w/ the urinary symptoms (i.e., the "Prostatitis") but said that was a non-issue and that what I likely have is a low grade papillary BC. He said that some people my age have had this turn out to be superficial but high grade, but that was not the norm. I still have pelvic discomfort and I noticed this morning that my urine was more yellowish orange than it was a couple of days ago. I haven't had anything to eat or drink yet today, which could be part of it, but I am still freaking out about all of that.

As many of you know from my posts thus far, I've been wholly consumed w/ anxiety over this since last Thursday and I am still overcome with fear that I now have some statistical expiration date stamped on me. I have been taking anti-anxiety medication since this whole thing started, but it doesn't do anything.

Surprisingly, I have been able to sleep very well through this whole thing...probably because that is the only time my mind can truly get a break from all of this.

I am thankful that I will at least have this thing removed in 48 hours now, but then I will again be forced to play the waiting game again until I get the pathology.

The doctor did not seem too worried that this would be a problem, although the first thing he handed me when he walked in was a BC booklet...needless to say, this is not the collection of reading materials I wanted to begin building.

One thing I read in the booklet is that BC (of any kind) requires lifelong monitoring and checkups to ensure that it stays away. While the prospect of now always having to deal w/ this in some way/level going forward is not pleasant, I will gladly get regular checkups if that is all that's needed after this ordeal. My mother in law has Diabetes, so I guess the "monitoring/maintenance" aspect is essentially no different. At least, that's how I'm trying to look at it anyway.

I am still finding it so very hard to cope w/ all of this.

12 years 1 month ago #41527 by JD37
Yes, that does sound all too familiar. I've never known my father, so I also don't know any of my paternal history, so this could have run on that side of the family for me for all I know.

I'm very glad to hear that your father is doing well.

12 years 1 month ago #41524 by Babsiebob
I too had stage 3 muscle invasive bladder cancer. I am still here after almost 4 years and I am doing fine. Get your second opinion and go from there. You too will be fine.
Good luck.
Barbara

Dx 4-28-08
pT3a no mo
Rc with Ileal Conduit on 6-09-08
2nd surgery on 6-27-09 for ureter leak
Renal failure on 7-01-09 nephy tube and then stent on 7-09-09
so far so good

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #41514 by mellycat
Hi there! I seem drawn to your story very much. I myself am in the same boat as you are at this time in my life. I am only 33 and also have a 3 year old daughter. I also have a 5 mm bladder polyp. Weird huh? My doc has scheduled me for surgery this Wednesday for removal of it. They also tell me I am lucky and will be fine but I know exactly what you are feeling as I feel the exact same way. I am also scared but I have to keep my faith that it is not cancer. Just remember there is also other things that it may be and until they have a pathologist look at it they can't tell you for sure. They can tell you what they think but it is not confirmed just yet. I cried for a whole week at first. A MRI picked up mine. I had several "polyps" removed when I was only 20 years old and never had any problems until this year. I have had burning urination for several months before I even went to have it checked out. My dad also has bladder cancer but he HAD invasive stage 3 and he is here 5 years later. It may change our lives but it can be whipped at the same time. Good luck to you in your journey and your in my prayers.

12 years 1 month ago #41512 by upnorth
JD, Please read back through Warrens posts and you will see how hard things were for him, and how he now has gained control of his life again.

We all are very proud of what he has done.

Mark

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne