Turbt and not doing BCG or Mytomycin??

14 years 1 week ago #31511 by Moonerj
Replied by Moonerj on topic Turbt and not doing BCG or Mytomycin??
I was the same stage and grade as you. I had a instillation of MMC right after my 2nd recurrence, followed by weekly BCG and maintenance BCG. Been cancer free every since.
Current recommended practice is for an instillation of MMC after a recurrence. You might want to call your Uro before the Turbt and ask him his plans for any treatments. This would insure the MMC is at the hospital.
All the best,
Jack

TA Grade 1
3 Turbts
30 BCG Treatments
Cancer Free since Nov 2007

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 1 week ago #31510 by vgau
Replied by vgau on topic Turbt and not doing BCG or Mytomycin??
Thanks for the information you shared. I plan to talk to him next week when I go in and maybe this will change. I was just hoping to have some good information before that meeting so I really appreciate your response and knowledge.
Vi

Dx 10/5 Non Invasive Papillary

14 years 1 week ago - 14 years 1 week ago #31503 by pemquid
Replied by pemquid on topic Turbt and not doing BCG or Mytomycin??
(1) When I had a first recurrence, almost two years ago, my uro did not do the immediate instillation of mitomycin that is now recommended; I'm not sure whether this was as much of a "standard" and recommended protocol then, but if I ever have another recurrence and TURBT, I'd sure ask him about it and push for it. If I were you, I'd definitely ask about getting the mitomycin at the time of the TURBT. I can't recall the exact time line, but believe it's recommended to have the single dose of mitomycin at the time of or within hours of the surgery; the idea is to prevent/forestall any possible "seeding" of cells from the area where the tumor is removed.
(2) My uro recommended I start the BCG treatments when I had the recurrence, even though the tumor the first time and the 2 very tiny ones the second time were low grade. I had read that BCG is less effective on low-grade tumors, but apparently the recurrence itself, irrespective of grade, can lead to a recommendation for BCG. My cousin, a radiologist specializing in the urinary tract concurred with my uro, and he said that the recurrence was an indication that "your bladder lining wants to grow tumors." (The new tumors were not in the same area as the old one, and were also not right next to each other.)

I had the 6 weeks induction, and have been getting maintenance BCG treatments since, first every 3 months and now every 6.

Just had a 3-month checkup, and I'm still all clear.

Ann

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.

14 years 1 week ago #31498 by vgau
I'm going in to have the new tumor found removed. There are no plans to do any type of follow up. Since I am still working to get into UCCC I thought perhaps I could get some advice from some of you.
I have read that they don't use these sometimes until the 3rd time around. Anyone experienced this?
Thanks,
Vi

Dx 10/5 Non Invasive Papillary

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne