Turbt and not doing BCG or Mytomycin??

14 years 6 days ago #31532 by vgau
Replied by vgau on topic Turbt and not doing BCG or Mytomycin??
Pat,
You are an amazing source of information. I'm also wondering if he may wait since I keep reading about the side effects getting worse every time you use it.

Everything your sending states helping with delay and recurrence. I sure will make sure to discuss this further and use the information in these articles.

Thanks so much,
Vi

Dx 10/5 Non Invasive Papillary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 6 days ago #31523 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Turbt and not doing BCG or Mytomycin??
Vgau..this from The Cleveland Clinic..2008..a really good article..many pages.......also for Sara Anne..they list CIS as 10%..
Index patient no. 3:This is a patient with multifocal and/or large-volume, histologically confirmed, low-grade Ta disease or a patient with recurrent low-grade Ta bladder cancer.
Recommendation: An induction course of intravesical therapy with BCG or mitomycin C is recommended with the goal being prevention or delay of recurrence. (The published guidelines reported a decreased probability of recurrence with either BCG or mitomycin C compared with tumor resection alone. Additionally, the report indicated no statistical advantage of either agent with respect to the incidence of tumor recurrence.)
Option: Maintenance BCG or mitomycin C may be considered. (The guidelines listed that, while maintenance BCG or mitomycin C is more effective in decreasing recurrence than induction alone, one must consider side effects, discomfort, lack of a uniform dosing schedule, and cost factors that may outweigh the benefits of this approach.
emedicine.medscape.com/article/458825-overview
Pat

14 years 6 days ago #31520 by vgau
I only had one mm size tumor the first time and the same this time. I wonder if that is part of the reason?

14 years 6 days ago #31518 by Joey
Replied by Joey on topic Turbt and not doing BCG or Mytomycin??
Vagu, I too after my first recurrence and second Turbt had MMC. So I had MMC after my first and second Turbts. Been on BCG since, 15 today and so far all is good.

Joey

14 years 6 days ago - 14 years 6 days ago #31516 by vgau
Pat: There was a biopsy done the first time before cauterization and it was TA non invasive papillary using WHO grading. I don't have my pathology in front of me since it is at school and we have a snow day, but I have that much in my file.

I did call the office and ask if he had plans and I got a call back that we would not at this point.

Just read your article and I will copy and take with me, but I believe we have 24 hours and it will still be effective if he does change his mind.

I think I am where you were Jack and this is just my 1st recurrence and that may be his reason for not planning anything more. Who knows what he will decide when he gets back in there.
Vi

14 years 1 week ago #31512 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Turbt and not doing BCG or Mytomycin??
it kind of depends on the uro...its quite underutilized for whatever reason. Much depends on your tumor...as you never got a stage and grade and it was just burnt off???? But here's some info on Mitomycin C
www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/39290.php
pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne