Starting BCG next week

15 years 9 months ago #18996 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Starting BCG next week
The long acting bleach tablet for the toilet is a good idea. If you are lucky enough to live in a home with more than one toilet make one of them off limits to all but you for the duration; side benefits no waiting. I always cleaned it myself once I was done bleaching with antibacterial cleaner.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #18994 by DIB
Replied by DIB on topic Starting BCG next week
Thanks Tate for your take on this. I'm scheduled for the next six Tuesday mornings with times varying between 8:30 am and 10:00 am. I spoke to the nurse who said she does the same thing as for the cystos: numbing gel on the tip then a little more inserted inside.

I'll let everyone knows how it goes. This group has been a terrific source of info as to the range of experiences people have had with BCG.

And we are heading for the RI shore to visit friends tomorrow; back late Monday so less time to sit at home and think.

David

Male Dx T1G3 5/08 @ Age 59. TURBT 5/08; TURBT+40 mg MMC 6/08; BCG (6) 7/08-8/08; Cysto & TURBT 9/08; BCG Maint(3) 10/08, 3/09; 7/09; 11/09; 5/10; & 1/11. Clean cystos 2/09, 9/09, 3/10, & 10/10.

15 years 9 months ago #18988 by tate
Replied by tate on topic Starting BCG next week
Hi David.

Just follow the 6 hours after BCG. I also have not heard anything about "the week"

I have finished my 6 treatments and waiting for the 31st for my 1st "peek and Poke" since dx, surgery, MMC, and BCG x 6.

for me -I was just tired the following day...my BCG's were always thursdays 4:30. so I just asked off for the Fridays just in case. the last two caused the only pain I had- I couldn't leave b-room for 2-3 hours that night and it was very painful for me even w/ peridium and spasm Rx. Everybody is different though- a lot of people do not have any problems.

I will tell you that my nurse said that alot of nurses do not use numbing meds when giving the BCG...she always did and I think that helped to ..so ask if they will.

Go have fun at the beach- don't dwell on the treatment (It sounds like you are cool with it) I wasted time dwelling and freaking out about the "unknown/new" treatment that I was facing and it was totally Ok once I got through the the 1st one.

Good luck and keep us updated.

-Tate

;)

15 years 9 months ago #18953 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Starting BCG next week
I have finished #4. The catheter was more "uncomfortable" than painful for several hours-see my subject about zylocain. Seem to be more sleepy. Only had a low grade fever after #2 for a few hours. A little cystitus for 24-26 hours more becuase of the catheter.

BCG itself,we are chloroxing also. Using a tank tablet that lasts for a few months. My uro says the concern is more driven by lawyers. Yes, be careful but, doesn't know of anyone getting TB from the toilet bowl. Can be more dangerous with a cut or bleeding should you void and splash, that is the concern.

Good luck.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

15 years 9 months ago #18879 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Starting BCG next week
Gee i've never heard of the BCG staying in the system a week....drink plenty of fluids after instillation.
>Is it safe for me to be around my family after TICE® BCG treatment?
With proper and simple precautions, the bacteria are not likely to be passed along to other people. After treatment, there are some safety steps you must follow.

To get the medicine out of your bladder and avoid splashing, sit down on the toilet to pass your urine. Touching the medicine outside the bladder may be unsafe for you and others.

After you urinate, add two cups of chlorine bleach to the toilet, close the lid, and wait 15 minutes before flushing.

Wash your genital area and your hands carefully with soap each time you urinate.

For at least six hours after the TICE® BCG treatment, drink plenty of fluids to wash out your bladder.
For the six hours after each treatment, follow all the steps given above each time you urinate.

15 years 9 months ago #18870 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Starting BCG next week
David,

The protocol is to bleach the toilet after urination for 6 hours post treatment.
The bleach needs to be unflushed for like 20 minutes each time. If you have a dedicated bathroom, I think you will feel more comfortable about not affecting others, however, I have never had a problem nor have I ever heard of anyone having a problem as long as you follow protocol.

Good luck. I think you will probably find the first treatment a piece of cake. At least I found it to be so....

Let us know how you do...

Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne