Starting BCG next week

15 years 8 months ago #19725 by pemquid
Replied by pemquid on topic Starting BCG next week
Dave--This will be my first 6-week course of BCG, as the first tumor was small, low grade, and non-invasive so BCG was not recommended 2 years ago. Even though the 2 new growths were of the same type, apparently just the fact of having a recurrence is setting me on the BCG "path." I like your idea of doing the BCG in the morning, so you can hold off on liquids from the night before up until the treatment and hence be able to hold the solution longer. I was figuring I might try for Friday mornings, and if I end up with side effects or not feeling well, I can have the weekend to recuperate. I'm fortunate to have a flexible job and plenty of sick time. And,I tend to be pretty "hardy," not prone to undue pain or illness, and have no other complicating disorders (except for my age, which is 65), so I'm just going to hope/assume that I will get through BCG just fine. Power of positive thinking!

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #19723 by DIB
Replied by DIB on topic Starting BCG next week
Did you have BCG before (after initial tumor two years ago). If so, what was your BCG experience then and did doc tell you to expect same side effects (or lack thereof)? Are you doing a series of 6 BCGs or 3?

If you are working, I would guess easiest would be to schedule at end of work day so you can go straight home, do the lie down/rotate thing and be near a toilet at as close to the 2 hour holding time as you can do. I go first thing in morning because I can go home and I can avoid drinking the night before which leaves less in my bladder and holding the BCG in "easier". BCG #1 I held for 1.5 hours; BCG#2 for 2.0 hours.

Good luck and be well!

David

Male Dx T1G3 5/08 @ Age 59. TURBT 5/08; TURBT+40 mg MMC 6/08; BCG (6) 7/08-8/08; Cysto & TURBT 9/08; BCG Maint(3) 10/08, 3/09; 7/09; 11/09; 5/10; & 1/11. Clean cystos 2/09, 9/09, 3/10, & 10/10.

15 years 8 months ago #19720 by pemquid
Replied by pemquid on topic Starting BCG next week
Dave--

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I just had a first recurrence after my initial tumor 2 years ago, 2 tiny low stage non-invasive "bits," same stage and grade as the initial small tumor. Uro recommended BCG because of the recurrence, so I'll be following close behind you on the BCG schedule. I had the tumors out last week and he said I needed to wait 2-3 weeks before starting the BCG. I'm working full time, and will be teaching a course (college) one day per week this fall, so have to figure out how to schedule the BCG to be least bothersome in terms of my work schedule. (I'm pretty flexible in my job duties, so other than the teaching day, I can work at home if I have to--assuming I feel up to it!)

Best wishes for a continued uneventful BCG experience.

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.

15 years 8 months ago #19681 by slabman
Replied by slabman on topic Starting BCG next week
Dave, I'll be doing #9 next week and can tell you for me, the side effects DID NOT get worse....actually better. But that feel of constantly having to go, well, is nerve wracking. It lasts into the second day for me. Don't let it get you down.

Bob
T1 G3
Age 66
DX April 2008
TURB April 2008
Last BCG (#15) April 2009

15 years 8 months ago #19669 by DIB
Replied by DIB on topic Starting BCG next week
Had BCG #2 yesterday. No side effects from BCG #1 (Held 1.5 hours). Only side effect from BCG#2 (Held 2.0 hours) has been burning during urination. Expecting #3... to have more side effects as told treatments are cumulative.

Male Dx T1G3 5/08 @ Age 59. TURBT 5/08; TURBT+40 mg MMC 6/08; BCG (6) 7/08-8/08; Cysto & TURBT 9/08; BCG Maint(3) 10/08, 3/09; 7/09; 11/09; 5/10; & 1/11. Clean cystos 2/09, 9/09, 3/10, & 10/10.

15 years 8 months ago #18997 by susant
Replied by susant on topic Starting BCG next week
I feel great and i had 4 so far. One day I didn't feel well for a couple hours , but it was my fault for not eating all day before taking my antibiotic pill before the bcg stuff.

I put bleach and use lysol on all the things i touch in the bathroom. i also use rubber gloves and keep them in a seperate plastic bag for the next treatment.

I am very happy that i had nothing bothering me after the bcg.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne