FYI about ports

14 years 5 months ago #28837 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic FYI about ports
CHR, My husband had a PICC line and then a Power Port. The PICC line required daily flushing with saline and heparin which I did in between medical visits. With the Port it only required flushing once a week which was done by the nurse. The PICC line lasted about 4 months and instead of replacing it with another PICC line they went to the PORT. They could use both for blood draws and infusions and transfusions. Once the incision healed with the Port he could shower and go swimming without the Press and Seal.

Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 5 months ago #28828 by vgau
Replied by vgau on topic FYI about ports
My mother has cancer and has a port. She was given a special cleaner that she uses due to reactions to soaps. However, she just seals it off when she takes a shower and then still cleans around it really well when done. Keeping the port clean is important because of infections. She has had this for 5 years now and had no problems, but she is diligent in her routine with her port.

It is amazing how much of this is just learned by patients rather than any training.

Dx 10/5 Non Invasive Papillary

14 years 5 months ago #28826 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic FYI about ports
CHR..did they not give you any instructions? ASK?
Pat

14 years 5 months ago #28818 by CHR
Replied by CHR on topic FYI about ports
Other than the "Press and Seal" for showering, how much maintenance does a port require? Do you irrigate it? Is it similar to a PICC line? On a daily basis I can see a definite advantage but how about only weekly infusions? Thanks in advance for any answers.

14 years 8 months ago #27251 by harleygirl
Replied by harleygirl on topic FYI about ports
My Dad, who has a urostomy with ileal conduit, uses the Press n' Seal to cover his wafer when he showers between "appliance" changes. He says it works great and keeps the wafer nice and dry. Amazing what uses you can find for stuff!

14 years 8 months ago #27250 by kittylee
FYI about ports was created by kittylee
I'm not sure where to put this since there isn't a "chemo" category so I'l try it Metastatic. I wanted to share this helpful tip. My husband has a port in his chest for ease in administering chemo treatments. His regimens have included mutiple treatments in the same week. He prefers to keep his port accessed to keep from getting "stuck" each day. The challenge was keeping the port area dry when showering. We have found that Glad Press 'n Seal (regular) does a fantastic job keeping the area nice and dry. FYI to all of you chemo patients out there.

I am a caregiver to my wonderful husband, Ron
10/04 Multiple T1G3 - TURBT & 3 yrs BCG -
9/08 Invasive BLC w/distant mets
11/08 - 3/09 Gemzar/Cisplatin chemo regimen
4/09 Radiation to bone mets
6/09 lung and liver met progression - start ITP chemo
10/09 My darling Ron passed away

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne