FYI about ports

14 years 4 months ago #28900 by CHR
Replied by CHR on topic FYI about ports
Thanks for the input; however, the Oncologist has postponed Chemo. So we won't have to deal with that Thanksgiving. Speaking of Thanksgiving--have a happy one!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 4 months ago #28848 by SandyMc
Replied by SandyMc on topic FYI about ports
I am a firm believer in the port. I had one put in February 2008 for chemo (which I finished in May of that year). I still have the port (which my oncologist does not want me to take out - probably because I am stage 4 and you just never know....) Anyway - it is no problem at all! I do not cover it when I shower and I only have it flushed every 4-6 months. Just had it flushed last week and it still works perfectly!

14 years 4 months ago #28846 by Webs
Replied by Webs on topic FYI about ports
Dear CHR,

I had a port for 6 months while I underwent chemo. Once the incision healed it was maintenence free. The nurse would flush it once she accessed it. I was told that if they had not been accessing it weekly then I would have to come in once a month to get it flushed.

There are different types so you will need to ask the doctor. I loved my port as I am a hard stick. I did have some clotting problems and had to be on warfarin. I have since read that some doctors like to put their patients on low doses of this from the beginning in order to avoid more serious problems later. Again this is something you should ask the doctor about.

The port was the best thing I did for myself. Keeping you in my heart.

Webs

14 years 4 months ago #28842 by CHR
Ummm...thought my reply would be under the message. OK that was for "didn't you ask about maintenance?" Since she had a PICC line in--for the above condition--I was aware of the upkeep. Was just trying to put a "port" in my frame of reference. Thanks all for your input.

14 years 4 months ago #28841 by CHR
Background: Port is not in. We will start chemo on the 23rd and my wife has a history of "blowing out" needles. A nurse at Mayo (who had chemo and was familiar with my wife's problem suggested a port--since that was what she had). The infusion nurse here, who is also familiar with the problem, said, "ports require maintenance and may not be worth the extra hassle." We have not discussed this with the oncologist. I'm just trying to get my ducks in order.

14 years 4 months ago #28838 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic FYI about ports
CHR,

For longer term, ports are typically preferred.
There are different types of ports though so it depends on what is being recommended.

PICC lines are more maintenance overall and people who have had both seem to really like the ports better.

Best thing would be to ask the doctor about the particular type of port being recommended.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne