constipation and buzzards flying over

15 years 5 months ago #22352 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic constipation and buzzards flying over
Constipation was the biggest reason Dick switched from morphine to the Fentanyl patch. He couldn't seem to find a combination that worked with the morphine including Lactulose. Lately he has had problems with occasional bouts of very loose stools so we cut back on the stool softener. Now he takes a combination of senna and stool softener twice a day and it wasn't quite enough so we added one more stool softener. He also drinks water all day long. Is your Mother getting enough water?
This is another area where Hospice can help. I discussed this with our nurse and I am keeping track. If there are problems next would be Lactulose and next a glycerin suppository and if that failed the enema. He hopes to avoid getting to that stage.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 5 months ago #22345 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic constipation and buzzards flying over
And as I keep telling Doran "Well, you're not dying today. And not this week, either."

sometimes, they're just trying out the thought to see what kind of reaction they'll get, too. Could this be the case?

Take time to just listen to her. Ask her questions about growing up. Maybe things like "when did you get an indoor toilet?" if this is pertinent, etc.

Stephany in Iowa

15 years 5 months ago #22344 by julieanne
Replied by julieanne on topic constipation and buzzards flying over
Thank you Karen. How are you doing.....dumb question I suppose. I have thought of you often. You, as always, offer good advice. My concern is that she has tried many things (I don't know exactly what to be honest), but one thing the nurse said would DEFINITELY work. When is it time to be concerned that there is a possible obstruction? I guess I am borrowing trouble, but it seems to me that if the nodes have grown so much, that they could possibly be interfering with her bowels. My thoughts are with you and your family. I know this continues to be a difficult time.

15 years 5 months ago #22334 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic constipation and buzzards flying over
Julieanne,

I suggest that she take a senna laxative whenever she takes the morphine...up to 4 times a day...if no relief then ask the Dr. about "Lactulose"...it is a liquid...if no relief after that good old fashioned "Fleet enema's" (the one with mineral oil) will work every time...there is a real possibility of getting impacted to be sure to stay on it...The lactulose about a half hr. before the enema worked the best for Angelo...he would always get the "All Clear" after that combo.

As for the comments about the buzzards...I think that too is fairly common, Angelo would say some off the wall comments sometimes that would leave me dumb founded...I think they start seeing their own mortality more and more...but I don't think they realize the effect those statements have on those they love...maybe just say: "Oh mom, I hate when you talk like that", or "well he isn't getting you today"...(somehow the wise cracks always helped me more, I hated getting really deep)...You are in my thoughts Julieanne...take care of yourself too...your kids need a Mommy with her head about her...

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

15 years 5 months ago #22328 by julieanne
constipation and buzzards flying over was created by julieanne
I know that the morphine will cause constipation, but Mama doesn't seem to be able to get relief. Not sure what she is taking, but it doesn't seem to be working. Today, she told me she feels fine other than the constipation but I don't think so. She looks very tired and kept rubbing her back. She says she feels fine, but then makes comments......like today a buzzard flew over and she said "I guess it is checking to see if I'm dead yet." What in the world?????? Do you think she is just feeling sad or feeling worse than she lets on? Also, any advice for the constipation?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne