constipation and buzzards flying over

15 years 4 months ago #22416 by julieanne
Replied by julieanne on topic constipation and buzzards flying over
Thanks you guys. Well, still nothing. Well, very little. I am so worried. The nurse is coming tomorrow to check again. She thinks we may need to have an x-ray just to rule out anything else causing the problem. That would make me feel better. She is just so miserable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 4 months ago #22398 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic constipation and buzzards flying over
Lorrie...that is alot of fiber...I hope he is drinking alot of water...that fiber can turn to concrete inside when combined with the narcotics...I would talk to his Dr.

While on Hospice the nurses generally take bloodwork once a week as long as the veins allow, and are in constant contact with the Dr. before they do anything...I think if they think they can do it at home they will, just a few extra blue pads, and they go for it...(and they clean up after which is a god send)...If the enema doesn't work they will take the next steps...they are well trained...

Also, Julieanne...if your mom goes with an IV or Sub Q Morphine pump she will also get saline which will give her added fluids, and very controlled pain relief...just a thought.

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

15 years 4 months ago #22396 by bobmac2
Replied by bobmac2 on topic constipation and buzzards flying over
Good Morning-
Bob has had an ongoing constipation ptoblem. He takes Lactolose & Senokot daily. I make him high fibre smoothies cintaining ground flax seed & he also eats hot Red River cereal (high fibre). When things slow down, he doubles-up on the Lactolose & Senokot. Sometimes you think he needs a stick of dynomite. since he has been undergoing Chemo, an enema can only be administered after a blood workup (not everyone knows that, including his homecare nurse who was quite surprised when I told her not to use an enema). I would take your mother to the hospital & have them clear the blockage. bob had to go in a couple of weeks ago & it took them 3 days to fix him up.
Regards, Lorrie

15 years 4 months ago #22386 by momof4
If she really keeps up on the senna and takes it 4 times a day...she should be ok...But the bowels do start to slow down...it will probably coincide with her appetite...I would stick to the 3 day mark for a BM...over that you are asking for problems...

15 years 4 months ago #22385 by julieanne
Replied by julieanne on topic constipation and buzzards flying over
The nurse recommended an enema earlier today and my brother in law (who is a nurse also)gave her the enema so the hospice nurse wouldn't have to come out. Still nothing and that was earlier this afternoon. She is in pretty bad pain and I feel so helpless. The nurse said that if she hasn't gone by morning (which I don't expect she will) she will come out and un impact her (not sure if that is a word.) That has to be painful. I'm surprised they would do that at home. Anyway, once she has done that, do you think the other medicine will work or will this be an ongoing thing?

15 years 4 months ago #22382 by momof4
If the lactulose doesn't work, the nurse will examine her, and probably give her an enema...I am sure this will work...Angelo had high impactions, and with that combo going at it from both ends it worked.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne