The cancer is back

15 years 9 months ago #19674 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic The cancer is back
Stephany,

Doran had his surgery just before Gene. Remember? I READ YOUR POSTS REALLY HARD, YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN, so I would know what to expect, This year, thru the winter you have been through so much. And now this, ITS THE REALITY THAT IT COULD HAPPEN TO any OF US. As your friend and a caregiver I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY...I am shocked as well. I will certainly put you n my prayer list.
Take care of you and Doran, were looking for miracles around here as of late.

Lovingly,
Ginger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #19668 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic The cancer is back
Stephany,

What a blow...I got the same punch in the gut last year when my husband was diagnosed...

If you want to talk I am here for you,

With Support,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

15 years 9 months ago #19663 by Stephany
The cancer is back was created by Stephany
I'm sitting here at the computer, realizing that I was probably stuck at the "bargaining" phase of grieving......if I could just get through my husband's surgery, if we could just get through chemo, if we could just get through the nephrostomy, if we could just get through the second surgery, if we could just get our lives back on track.....

and then the doctors found an enlarged thyroid. And he had an ultrasound. And they didn't find anything.

So we went four weeks, and had another ultrasound. And they found some enlarged nodes.

So he had a fine needle biopsy, and the doctor called Monday night, and said that the biopsy showed the bladder cancer. He was so nice, though, that he found time for us to come in at 8:00 am the next morning, to discuss his findings and his plans.

So we met with him this morning, and he also scheduled a CT scan, to look for other nodules. We are waiting for the results this evening.

His plan is for Alimta at three week intervals "until it stops working."

This sucks really really bad.

He said a whole lot more....I don't want to make it sounds like he was not extremely kind and extremely thorough. I have three pages of written notes that I took while he was talking.

And so we wait.

Monday night I was so numb. I felt so betrayed. It hit me harder, I think, than the original diagnosis. Does anybody have any answers as to why that might be?

Anyway, right now we are still processing the information. Monday night, all of us took "drugs" and lots of them. Doran took a Percoset, I took three Xanax, and our son took a Hydrocodone, so I slept through the alarm, and had to be awaken in time to get on the road to Iowa City. Made it in record time, too!

Anyway, I look forward to hearing from some of you who might have answers for the emotional roller coaster we are one right now. I downloaded and printed the pages regarding metastasis, and have been committing it to memory.

Things here in Iowa were going great until Monday night. I hope to read some of the new posts tomorrow and catch up on what has been happening since I started bargaining.

Stephany in Iowa

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne