Results of CT scan don't sound good; cystoscope exam TH

16 years 2 months ago #13401 by mssmr
Thank you, Leigh. My current oncologist resisted the idea of using Rational Therapeutics. He seems to have had experiences (mostly with gyn. patients)
where drugs not recommended by RT have worked well. He worries about the
lab vs live patient aspect. My thought is that RT requires 4 weeks without chemotherapy and I'm not there yet. The next time someone does a biopsy, though, I will be and can re-assert the case.

Leigh -- Thanks for your feedback on telling my story. I find it hard to do, actually, because I do think I "should have could have" been smart and assertive enough to have gotten a diagnosis before my cancer got to be the mess it has been at and since my late diagnosis. I do not like to feel stupid, disrespected, etc. any more than other folks do. I need to put part I and II (II pre-Bladder Cancer Web cafe)behind me though and to try to learn to help myself and I hope others deal with bladder cancer -- so I am trying. As my audio tape says, I'm trying "to forgive myself and others for errors of the past." But also to help others avoid some of the pitfalls. Thanks, again, for your supportive feedback.

I have also followed your story and, with so many others, wish you the best!

Susan (mssmr)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #13397 by Leigh
Dear Susan,

The Rational Therapeutics certainly makes a lot of sense and is worth further investigation.

I wish you all the very best with your evaluation at M.D. Anderson.

You are most definately in my thoughts during this time and I greatly admire you for sharing every step of your journey.

Kind Regards
Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007
RC/Neobladder ,Studer Pouch, September 2007
Erasmus Centrum Rotterdam
TNM Classification: pT4 N2 Mo
4 cycles aduvant chemo Gemzar & Cisplatinum

16 years 2 months ago #13384 by Gene Beane
Susan,
It sounds disappointing, the liver lesion, I will remain optomistic though as maybe it is not what it seems. The visit to MD Anderson will give you a better
perspective? Yes. Do something fun while there like Julie also mentioned, your great at diversions from the cancer, find a fun one...prayer warrior,,Ginger

16 years 2 months ago #13383 by Julie
Susan I will keep you in my thoughts. I have heard good things about M.D. Anderson and the team there. As Ginger said take some time for yourself while you are there. Make it more than a medical jaunt.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

16 years 2 months ago #13381 by mssmr
Hello all -- My husband and I went to see my medical oncologist today. As I gathered from reading the CT scan report, there appears to be many lesions in my liver and nodules in my lungs. One of each are pathologcial size. Due to some
issues with comparability with past imaging, it is hard to see if my disease is basically stable or progressing. The Dr. said that it is quite a bit of disease, though, and concurred with my going for a consultation over at M.D. Anderson in Houston and he is setting that up. Neither of the two chemotherapy regimens I've had
shrunk the bladder tumor or mets (MVAC and Taxol + Gemzar) and he thinks getting an evaluation at M.D. Anderson and, perhaps, seeing if I can get into a clinical trial seems reasonable.

My bloodwork came out good today, both CBC and metabolic profile -- except that albumin is little low. Liver enzymes and kidney function are fine. No subjective lung issues as yet (breathing easy).

I'll let you know how setting up the consultation goes.

Please keep me in your thoughts and send along any ideas or guidance you can offer.
Being a person of faith, I join the "Prayer Warriers" at my church weekly (if I can)
for Th. evening prayers. I plan to be there tonight.

My best to all -- Susan (mssmr)

16 years 2 months ago #13312 by Gene Beane
Julie and Susan,
Yes, its great how all come together and voice our personal experiences. Susan I take it your husband will be going with you, save yourself some time and fly,,you have the insurance, why not!! MD Anderson has a great reputation from what I have read on the forum and elsewhere. Your both two women I admire, the strength to deal with what you have been dealt, Julie for her husband, and Susan for yourself..Julie being a long time caregiver, so many different types of complications from the beginning. Keep up the good work, take time for yourself as well...Susan if Md Anderson is your choice good luck there,,hope they can help with your present issues....Ginger

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne