the operation

10 years 3 months ago #45769 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic the operation
Wow! I am so sorry to hear this! I was ALWAYS afraid of infection in the Hospital and I know that hospitals are the worst places for infection because EVERY kind of Germ is living there. But I have not heard of a Blood yeast infection. This is kinda new for me to hear.

I guess we have to start looking for clean hospitals or a clean protocol.

I know this is very hard for you to experience, and this infection is taking a toll on you both. I certainly hope they have it coming under control. WOW! i'm still reeling. The RC operation is a BIG Time operation indeed and there are so many variables here. There is always a chance for something to go wrong. I have a good friend who had the RC in Sept and was back in the hospital 2 times for infection and just had a second surgery to repair some scar tissue that was gumming up the works. He is very open and needs a place to vent. So he calls me and I listen to him. He is always saying "how come you didn't have this complication?" I don't know what to say other than, "I had other things that went wrong. So we are all different"

Please keep us informed and we will listen to your story. If anything comes to mind...... say it! We may have some ideas as you go through this.

Good Luck

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]
The following user(s) said Thank You: bgj

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 3 months ago #45768 by mareewifeofgreg
Replied by mareewifeofgreg on topic the operation

linda, I am thinking of you at this time - so hope he comes through this ok & you 2 can get on with your lives.
My hubby, also has to consider RC & woudl like to talk to someone whose been through it as well. It has all come as a bit of a shock to us.
God Bless
Maree

10 years 3 months ago #45765 by bgj
Replied by bgj on topic the operation
Bobby never got around to emailing you or calling you. He had his bladder and prostate removed 1/8/2014. He was up walking 1/9 and doing so well, and on 1/10 he spiked a fever of 103 and they tested everything to find out what was causing the fever or what the infection was. Finally 1/13 they found out it was a yeast infection in the blood stream! On 1/19 he had to be put on a breathing machine because he was in A fib because his heart rate was from 142-180 (racing) and his oxygen was dropping., his kidneys were failing and they ordered dialysis( 2 1/2 hours) which helped a lot. on 1/20 they did dialysis for 3 hours. on 1/21 they didn't do any dialysis and his fever was 101, but came down to 98. Today is 1/22 and Bobby is still in the hospital! He will have dialysis again this evening and not again until Friday 1/24. Do you know anyone else who has had this horrible experience? I am going crazy worrying about him and not knowing what is going to happen next or if he will live or die! We have been married 39 years and I cannot see living without him. I need to know if I am looking at years of taking care of him which I can do or living without him! Thanks, Linda

10 years 4 months ago #45581 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic the operation
Linda if your husband would like to talk to a man who has had a Radical Cycstectomy please send me a message using the following link to contact us and we will arrange it.

bladdercancersupport.org/bladder-cancer-help/bladder-cancer-site-help/bladder-cancer-cus

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

10 years 4 months ago #45579 by bgj
Replied by bgj on topic the operation
I thank you for your message on here. I am the wife(Linda) of a bladder cancer patient(Bobby). He is looking to have the operation soon. He just talked to the doc this morning and it looks like the bladder & prostrate will be removed. He needs to talk to someone who has been through this and how it will be afterward. Maybe I can get him to talk to you. He is at work right now, but hinted to me that he needed to talk to someone who has had this operation. Your message made me tear up because Bobby & I are very close and I know there will be changes, but I don't think he really understands this. Thanks again!

10 years 5 months ago #45528 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic the operation
You GO Girl!!!

And Warren....... it is much better having the girl on your side, than fighting this battle on 2 fronts. cancer is a big enough battle.

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne