Post Cystectomy ED

17 years 1 month ago #4311 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Post Cystectomy ED
I'll give you a full report.

My tumor was so invasive and aggressive that I didn't qualify for nerve-sparing surgery. Instead I had what Belle referred to (in one of the most delightful typos I've had the fortune of reading--and the misfortune of experiencing) as "nerve spearing" surgery. :)

When Dr. Stein was explaining that when he cut the nerves I would never have an erection again, I just nodded. Surely he didn't mean me! Certainly it was just some legal fine print that he had to say, but it didn't/couldn't/wouldn't mean me.... I thought he even winked as he said it. Nope, not me.

Well, from my upcoming appointment at USC, you know how very wrong I was.

Zach
(Whose nerves were speared June23rd, 2006)

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 1 month ago #4310 by timb
Replied by timb on topic Post Cystectomy ED
I'm pretty interested in how that works for you Zachary. Please let us know. And hope it all goes smoothly.

tim

17 years 1 month ago #4309 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Post Cystectomy ED
Speaking of "hydraulic implants"....

March 23rd, 7:30am, USC University Hospital.

I'll let you know how it goes. Discreetly, of course....

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

17 years 1 month ago #4306 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Post Cystectomy ED
Yeah, and I'm outta here too, Tim B!

Very best to you, Belle. Listen to these guys, they know a lot!!

Regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 1 month ago #4304 by timb
Replied by timb on topic Post Cystectomy ED
I think its a complicated issue. Partner or no partner. And, let's be honest, sometimes being attached is great and sometimes not great! That said, I'm not sure how well I would have recovered without my partner. She was incredible and just way beyond the call of duty. I also think that having my partner and her boy around after my surgery helped me think of something else apart from me which was hugely valuable. Kept me anchored to reality. Then there was the odd day where a bit of space would have come in handy...but you can't have it all ways and I'm eternally grateful for all the love and support I got and still have. Anyway, back to erectile dysfunction...

17 years 1 month ago #4303 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Post Cystectomy ED
I hope you all don't mind me jumping in here. :-X

I would just like to add something about the emotional side of the subject at hand.

When I hear you all talking about what a great support your partners/spouses have been through your cancer ordeal, I have felt a conflict and an envy, as I have been partner-less since my diagnosis.

To be honest, carrying the greater weight in the balance, is a certain relief that I have not had to worry about the needs and pressures that a partner might place upon me at this time. So many other things have become so much more important.

I know this does not address the the issue of what you are probably missing in your relationship, Belle,
but, I'm just weighing in from my very peculiar point of view.

So, there it is,
Best to all,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne