gross hematuria

11 years 10 months ago #42307 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic gross hematuria
Rebel,

Not sure what you are hoping we can do here. Sounds like you should simply call your own urologist, tell them you had a stone before, describe your symptoms and see if they can do things in the order you want (or at least explain why they can't).

Cystoscopy, from my limited knowledge, is still one of the best things to do in order to have the doctor see for themselves in the case of gross hematuria. Not everything shows up on a CT scan.

For example, what if you had another stone (which shows up on CT) but that isn't what is causing the bleeding. Maybe bladder cancer is causing the bleeding. Maybe not, but what if?

Cytology has false positives and false negatives so it is wise to look via cystoscopy. Maybe someone did a bad one on you before because it really shouldn't cause problems beyond the discomfort during the procedure.

In any case, the best bet is calling your urolgist (or even other ones if your urologist doesn't want to do it in the order of your preference and can't convince you that it is a better approach).

Good luck! Hope it is just another stone!
Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #42306 by goodoldrebel
gross hematuria was created by goodoldrebel
2 years ago I had a large bladder stone removed twice as all of it wasn't crushed or removed the first time. Recently, I noticed that after a round of golf, I have gross hematuria. I have also felt like I have something inside making my bladder sore. Sort of the same feeling as when I had a bladder stone. I probably also have BPH as since taking uroxatral my urinating at night has decrease to 1 or at the most 2 times.

I really don't want an invasive test like a cystoscopy as the first line of defense since afterwards you are sore and its hard to urinate for the first time because of the soreness of the invasive test. Urodine etc. doesn't really do the trick, yet I know I should rule out bladder cancer even though the bleeding occurs after either a round of golf or a fast run around the track or some physical athletic activity.

I know that its probably out of sequence but I want to try to get a CT scan first and cytology of the urine before any invasive test like a cystoscopy. I'm not sure if I can get the urologist to do these first for most urologists like to have you make multiple visits instead of getting noninvasive tests first. At least a CT scan would tell me if its a bladder stone and the urine cytology would pick up any sluffed of cancer cells.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne