Post-Neobladder \"Real Timeframes\"

13 years 6 months ago #34490 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Post-Neobladder \"Real Timeframes\"
It was about 2-3 months after getting the catheter out for me to be safe without pads during the day.

I am one of the unlucky few that didn't achieve nightime continence. I sleep with a condom catheter and output about 800-1100cc per night. You can see why I would not want to bother with the diaper things! :) My output would probably be lower if I was worried about it, but since I wear the condom catheters, I drink water up till bedtime and also keep a liter bottle on my bedstand that I drink from throughout the night.

Even with that, when I first catheterize in the morning, I'm still putting out another 600-800 cc.

To me, it is no big deal though. It's just some things I have to pack in my suitcase every week.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...
The topic has been locked.
13 years 6 months ago #34488 by jj803
Replied by jj803 on topic Post-Neobladder \"Real Timeframes\"
PJF,

My experience is similar. By about 3-4 months I was getting safe enough to go pad free during the day. I another couple of months I chanced nights. For the nights, I would still have a minimal accident about 1-2 x per month (small half dollar sized wet area on underwear, but no soak through to pj bottoms or bedding). Things continued to improve and now a noticeable accident is rare. It can be a slow and frustrating process, but know that for many of us it does take a while and hang in there. Best wishes,

jj
13 years 6 months ago #34484 by Humpy
Replied by Humpy on topic Post-Neobladder \"Real Timeframes\"
PJF,
For me it was about 3 1/2 months before I felt confortable, and confident to go w/o a pad during the day.
I started going pad free around the house, and doing yard work first. The ventured out to the real world.
I also had 12 weeks of physical therapy for pelvic floor muscles.

I still have nightime dribbles.

Woody returned starting with nocturnal erections after about 6 months.

I had prostate capsule sparing. With capsule sparing they hollow the prostate leaving the shell and nerves.

I'm glad you understand that everyone is different.
This ain't a race.

17 months post RC

Age 54
T1NOMX,Grade 3 Urothelial CIS (Carcinoma in Situ)
Neobladder 5/19/2009
Prostate Capsule Sparing
U of M Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan
13 years 6 months ago #34456 by PJF
I'm three months post-surgery for a neobladder (Cystoprostatectomy). I'm told I'm doing great, but progress is not measureable. I'm about right where I was 4 weeks after surgery. Little to no progress, as far as I can tell.
For those who are 6+months or years with a neobladder, what is realistic from your experience on three fronts:
(1)Full daytime continence (no pad necessary),
(2)Full, or small pad (no soaked diapers) evening continence (and yes, I understand about 20% of us will never get evening continence and will need to consider a texas catheter), and
(3)Ability to enjoy the pleasures of a sexual relationship?
I understand, "everybody is different"....but to the extent you are willing to share your personal timeframes, how long did it take?
Thanks, in advance.

July 2010 Neobladder
Male/Age:52/Long Island, NY
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne