UVA & new Uro

14 years 6 months ago #28391 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic UVA & new Uro
Oh Great...a good friend of your Uro!!.....Please go to Johns Hopkins.....pretty please?
emedicine.medscape.com/article/436053-diagnosis
there are many ways to diagnose this but ya gotta know how to do it and you can't mess around with not treating it. And you have to be on the meds for about 6 months. You really don't want to mess with this.
I gave you a link earlier for Dr. Mark Schoenberg at Johns Hopkins....also the #1 Urology center in the US.
urology.jhu.edu/markschoenberg/index.php
email him if you want..he'll answer you.
This is a nightmare.
Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 6 months ago #28390 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic UVA & new Uro
Bill,

Rather than just do the wait and see with the cystos, you might inquire about mitomycin. This is often used for patients that can't tolerate BCG.

Problem is that there are occasional shortages of it, but I think I'm like the only guy that ever had a problem with that. I haven't heard of anyone else having issues with it.

It's a chemotherapy agent as opposed to bio (BCG) but it don't read the stuff about it because it all applies to when you get mitomycin (also called mmc) in the vein.

When done intravesically, it helps kill cancer cells that may be there. It's typically given once a week for 6 weeks like BCG. It doesn't have as good a track record as BCG for preventing recurrence but it is better than just about everything (from what I've read and heard).

Hope you get that prostate issue under control soon!

If they can't get it under control soon, you might want to ask if they can do a biopsy of the prostate and culture the infection for sensitivity (to figure out which antibiotic would work). I'm just making that up but it seems logical to me. They do it for sore throats so why not for infected prostates?

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 6 months ago #28389 by Bill Jr
UVA & new Uro was created by Bill Jr
Well saw a new Uro today at UVA. 1st thing I found out was that this fellow has been friends with my Uro at home, for 15-years (boy, can I pick-um?):S

Basically this is what he said & recommended:

1. Based on what he read in my files from my Uro at home, I am one out of many, whose body will not tolerate BCG-treatments.
2. He recommends I take no more BCG-treatments, that to do so, I would only be asking for trouble!
a. I had decided a week ago that I would take no more BCG’s anyway.
3. I should continue the Cysto’s at 3-month intervals.
a. I have one on the 4th
4. The antibiotic I was on for 6-weeks the 1st time, and for 3 ½-weeks this time is doing me no good.
5. He will recommend to my Uro at home that I be put on anti-TB medication for my prostate.
a. It seems to be getting worse by the day!
b. I asked for this “TB” medication for the 1st infection & my Uro refused.
6. We’ll see what happens on the 4th with my regular Uro.

Turbt (May 09)
T1 High grade
Began BCG June 09 (every 3-mo for next 2-yrs)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne