New Neobladder - 100% Incontinenence- Is this typical & when will it get better?

16 years 3 months ago #12862 by Mitchell S

Getting depressed and needing help.

My RC / neobladder was performed by Dr. Scherr of New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell on December 27, 2007 using the DaVinci. I was advised that the 7.5 hour surgery was a success and my nerves were spared. The pathology came back with great results – the bladder cancer was confined to the lamina propria and all lymph nodes came back clean. After 12 days at the hospital (I had Ileus), I returned home. It’s now January 23, 2008, and I currently have a Suprapubic (S/P) tube left. I was advised that the S/P will be removed tomorrow and then a Foley will be installed for 48 hours.

I just turned 51 a few days ago. My bladder cancer was diagnosed very early, approx. three years ago, during my annual physical, when my primary care physician discovered three microscopic red blood cells in my urine. He referred me to a urologist for a cysto, at which time the bladder cancer was discovered. After my initial TURB, I immediately went under the care of Dr. Scherr. After years of many Cystos, TURBs, and three rounds of BCGs, in December 2007 the bladder cancer recurred for the third time. At that time it was decided time to perform the R/C and neobladder.

During the past 3 years, I rarely skipped a beat. Typically, I would be back to work on the Monday following a Friday TURB, and golfing all the while. I had showed very few symptoms of bladder cancer (frequency and urgency), and the bladder cancer did not have any significant impact on my lifestyle. I previously felt great.

Here is my current situation: The R/C – Neobladder recovery seems to be a long and arduous process. I feel weak, having lost approx. 20 lbs from my prior 182 lb. weight. I find myself sleeping and resting most all of the time, not really wanting to get up and about (although I am now starting to force myself to take walks every day). My life as I new it has ceased.

From the time that the Foley catheter was removed on January 17, 2008, I have been 100% incontinent. I am dripping from my penis 24/7 with a rare few seconds between each drip. Since the Foley was removed on January 17, 2007, I have been doing the Kegel exercises religiously, without any results. .

All of this has been causing me to get very depressed. Is the incontinence typical? When can I expect it to improve, if ever? Other than the Kegel exercises, is there anything else that I can do to expedite the process?

Your advices are most appreciated.
The topic has been locked.
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne