New Neobladder - 100% Incontinenence- Is this typical & when will it get better?

16 years 1 week ago #15727 by Gene Beane
I am writing as my husbands caregiver, he had his r/c sept, 14th 2007, he choose the outside bag, there are many reasons for his choice, he is 66 and had some heart problems, he is well now and recovery was slow but successful. My thoughts are with you as incontinence is so hard for men or women to deal with, its almost like you went thru this whole thing and you have to deal with a sensitive issue as this. For about 2 months Gene had to wear depends as he leaked from his penis.the surgeon said it was common until the body absorbs the fluid from the surgery site, we were told it would all go away, and it did, so no problems now. My hope is that you find out why its happening, afterall you have an inside bag so why???
The physical therapist idea sounds very helpful, you will regain control ,I have read how it does take time, don't get discouraged, easy to say I know, but many guys on this forum have come out of the incontinence issue, I am sure you will too,
Ginger Beane
The topic has been locked.
16 years 1 week ago #15650 by mikeg
I went to a physical therapist who specializes in pelvic floor muscles and bio-feedback after my RC. He suprised me by saying that my pelvic floor muscles were too tense and therefore doing kegels would backfire and actually make me weaker. He gave me weird anal exercises to do to relax my pelvic floor muscles before exercise. My urologist also had an nurse practicioner who also gave me bio-feedback and training on kegels.

You might want to look into some professional to address issues like these. Actually, though, it sounds like some sort of sphincter issue as well. What do I know? :-\

Michael

Michael
Age 58
Stage T2-T3, muscle invasive
Married to Eileen
2 sons, ages 20 and 23
16 years 3 months ago #12920 by timb
no probs.keep us posted mitchell

all the best

tim
16 years 3 months ago #12912 by Mitchell S
Zach and Tim,

Thank you so very much for all of your input. It gives me a great sense of renewed hope.

With warmest regards and with my sincere gratitude,
Mitchell
16 years 3 months ago #12901 by timb
LOL. yes im with Zachary on this one. I too got pretty down in those first months and it just feels like things will never get better. I was 100% incontinent for the first couple of days and then noticed small improvements until, as zach says, you suddenely find yourself being pretty normal. everyone takes a different amount of time though. be prepared, though, that nighttime for many people can take a while longer and, for some, 100% continence is never achieved. I think Im about 90% there with that now and still wear a pad at night. though I probably don't need it as I now have a pretty set regimen of getting up. I had my rc in oct 06. hang in there, the smart money is on a significant improvement to your current situation and a good quality of life.

all the best

tim
16 years 3 months ago #12863 by Zachary
Mitchell, it was exactly three months to the day before I dared venture out of the house without daytime protection. You're still definitely in the learning curve.

I was very much like you--I thought that somehow *I* was the continence exception; that *I* would never have another dry day or dry night.

I was wrong.

It just takes a while. Remember the Candid Camera slogan?--"Remember, when you least expect it, someone, somewhere may walk up to you and say, 'Smile, You're on Candid Camera." Well, someday soon, somewhere, you're going to notice that you've been dry all day.

Anyway, at least that's how it was for me. We're exactly the same age, and our stories sound similar. I predict that in two to three months you'll be as dry as a Bond martini in the daytime--shaken and not stirred.

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne