day 6, Gene Beane, going home

16 years 7 months ago #8187 by Gene Beane
day 6, Gene Beane, going home was created by Gene Beane
Well today is the day. The first Doctor was in at 5:30 am. He said all looks good. At 7;30 another Doctor under Dr. Campbell, he said today you will go home. If all your meds etc. are unhooked its time to leave. This way you don't stick around to maybe get any hospital type infections, better to get into your own envoirnment.
So this afternoon we will be off to travel 25 miles to home.
Boy what a week. I must ex[lain about my statements on the help you can be to your husband. The things I listed are mostly done by the nurses, but as you become familiar with his daily routine its nice to just not press the button, do it yourself. Of course that doesn't go for needles, drains, plugs etc. In our marriage I seem to be the stronger partner. The doer, the idea maker, the planner. So I recognized that for Gene he was happier when he knew I was staying. So I did. It will be so nice to go home and sit on our patio , watch the hummingbirds, finches, cardnals, deer, squirrels, its like a zoo at our house.
As much as I went on about the staff here I had some problems as well. When Gene had the bad Monday I had the new nurse. She would come in say I'll be back, never to see her again. Until I of course made my presence at the nurses station. So that VIP SECTION would have taken care of that, they are at your beckin call in there. 250 a day, what a better way to spend it. No rooms available in vip after being for Gene recovery. We could have moved Tuesday but we had a private room so we just stayed in there. You begin to recognize who are the good ones and who are the no shows.
This is what happened on Monday, in detail,
early am...nausea, dry heaves
noon nausea dry heaves
meds nexium, mylanta
3pm zofran
4pm nausea, dry heaves
5pm, Gene said to me this is not worth it, WOW, HE IS SICK,
6PM PHENEGRAN MED
AT 6;30 HIS EYES GOT REAL BIG, AND HE SAID TO ME IN A SLUR, WHY IS THE ROOM ON FIRE, AND WHO ARE ALL THESE PEOPLE, HIS BACK WAS SOAKED FROM SWEAT, AND HE WAS DIZZY, I FREAKED I RAN TO THE NURSES STATION FOR HELP, THE NEW NURSE SAID, ITS PROBABLY THE MED'S, PROBALY WAS NOT A GOOD ANSWER, I SAID HE IS SWEATING, DIZZY AND TALKING OF THE WALL, IS IT A STROKE MAYBE, I DIDN'T KNOW. SHE SAID PROBABLY NOT. THERES THAT ''PROBABLY'' AGAIN. SHE CAME IN THE ROOM , I SAID HOW DO YOU SPELL PHENEGRAN, SHE LOOKED UP AND SAID, ITHINK ITS PH ,,OH BOY I AM IN TROUBLE NOW.
SHE LEFT TO CALL UROLIGY FOR THE RESIDENT TO SEE HIM, MEANWHILE I SAW A REAL NURSE WE HAD THE NIGHT BEFORE, I ASKED IF I COULD SHARE THIS WITH HER, I WAS STILL CRYING,
SHE WAS VERY GOOD, SHE SAID IT WAS THE MEDICATION, NOT PROBABLY. I WENT BACK TO GENE, NOW HE INSISTED ON GOING FOR A WALK, NOT A GOOD IDEA RIGHT NOW, I PUSHED THE BUTTON, NO ONE, NO ONE, NO ONE, FINALLY I RAN TO THE NURSES STATION AGAIN, I SAID TO THE NEW NURSE , DID YOU GET THE MESSAGE, SHE SAID NO, I SAID GENES GOWN IS SOAKED WITH SWEAT, HE WANTS TO WALK, AND HIS PENIS IS DRIPPING EVRYWHERE, SHE SAID I WILL SEND AN AID, THE AID WALKS IN, BY THIS TIME GENE WAS WALKING NO MATTER WHAT, THE AID SAID, oh I didn't know I had to walk him I thought I had to change his sheets, I said forget it, we are going for a walk. he dripped all down the hall from his penis, at that time the good nurse took over, she got busy, she returned us to his room, cleaned him up, looked at his ivs, one was leaking, and so was the other, she blew one changing it. But she handled everything well. I told her I didn;t want to see the other nurse, send her back to school since she can't spell phenegran. I did expalin all of this to Dr. Campbell, he said some people have that reaction to phenegran, and he was sorry for the delema with the nurse.
THIS CAN BE SOLVED BY STAYING IN THE VIP SECTION..250.00 MORE A NIGHT, WELL WORTH IT. What if I hadn't been there???
After the news we were going home our room had all the people, not the ones from Monday, home care instructions, home care set up, stoma nurse, the lady from health and excercise. We got blasted with instructions. Now I am still here waiting for Dr. Campbell. He is our final visitor. Our daughter will pick us up at 5pm.
Tomorrow I am going to interview my husband. I am going to choose questions about the week. Since he doesn't get on the forum I thought this will give you his thoughts thru me. And maybe thru these answers straight from him , he may help someone else getting ready for his cystectomy. Until then!!! ginger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne