day 6, Gene Beane, going home

16 years 6 months ago #8212 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic day 6, Gene Beane, going home
Eileen Hopkins is a great hospital and so is Dr.Shoenberg, but your date is already set up but I went to Univ of Penn to see Dr. Malkowicz both great hospitals and both great surgeons. I was a trucker so a 2 and a half hr ride ain't crap but to me why take that extra distance when you got a great hospital right where we are. I'm was very happy with Penn got excellent treatment, I have nothing but good to say about everyone that works there from the janitor to the top dog and I saved money on gas and the biggest part I am cancer free as of now. Well to where ever you go good luck. Joe ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #8201 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic day 6, Gene Beane, going home
Eileen....don't be scared...you're at the #1 BC facility in the nation with Dr. Mark Shoenberg. Your husband will be in excellent care. I don't know how to be prepared for all the possibilities but all i wanted was the love and support of my husband...thats really all you need to do. You don't have to be the nurse, or the aide ...you may have to find one however...i know of no hospital that is completely staffed with nurses...they say they are...but they lie. Just be his advocate...speak up if you have to. Its a rough couple of days after surgery for the patient and no two patients are alike nor do they react to medications the same way. Most likely everything will be under control..if something seems unusual let them know. But you're in a great place....don't panic. Pat

16 years 6 months ago #8195 by mikeg
Replied by mikeg on topic day 6, Gene Beane, going home
ginger - you are scaring the shit out of me. my husband got his surgery date - nov. 5th at hopkins. does anyone have anything to say to me about hopkins? i want to be prepared for all possibilities, not that that's possible!

eileen, mike g's wife

Michael
Age 58
Stage T2-T3, muscle invasive
Married to Eileen
2 sons, ages 20 and 23

16 years 6 months ago #8194 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic day 6, Gene Beane, going home
Hmmm. I took a full semester of pharmacology. But hey, that was more than 30 years ago. It's mostly out of date anyway. I've learned about more drugs since medical school than I did in medical school.
Forgive me for jumping in off topic - and my best to Gene.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 6 months ago #8192 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic day 6, Gene Beane, going home
I'm glad your home and all went well for Gene with surgery. I read the other stuff but the main thing he is ok and that is the most important thing. Penn did not run their rooms like that they were all the same and they were doubles but each bed ( patient ) had his own nurse and nurses aid. Except for the Pavillion where the wealthy folks have rooms with everything under the sun must be nice to afford all your luxuries while you are ill lol.

As far as interview day Ginger you guys will have alot more to worry about then worrying about answering questions here at the forum believe me. I could of posted about after my surgery they had a hell of a time getting me stabalized and getting my pulse ox back up plus my body temp. My wife who is an LPN said she was really getting concerned at one point it was that bad. I forgot all about this till the other day when she reminded me cause you forget alot of stuff after that surgery.

The first day home I forgot I had steps lol and what a deal that was getting up them and basicazlly getting readjusted to just being home. And your looking at about two months recovering from this surgery Ginger it takes time dear and that's just getting back to the basics. I just past my 3 month mark and I am up and around but I lost alot of that giddy up and go I use to have I am hoping all in time that comes back. And Pat is telling me like 6-8 months and I believe her, cause I heard things to that effect before and also she is very knowlegable with this stuff not that I'm a dummy she just had the surgery longer then me. Well once again happy all went well and all in time you will understand the recovery part it takes time. My wife took off just like you the week I was in the hospital and also the following one since she had the time and said she was glad to go back to work after caring for me lol ;) Best of Luck, Joe ;)

16 years 6 months ago #8189 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic day 6, Gene Beane, going home
By the way Ginger..its Phenergan......don't feel bad even the doctors only have to take a 6 week course in drugs!
And do tell Gene that those same pesky people all came into my CT scan room to watch me too...about 35 of them all in dressing gowns...one drinking beer from a hat equipped with a can and straw! I provided much amusement for the staff.
Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne