1st week of chemo

17 years 1 week ago #5200 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic 1st week of chemo
Hi and thanks for the encouragement...it does help.

Today ( Friday) I felt way too weak and possibly getting dehydrated to be sure I will get thru the weekend w/o ending up in the ER so we went in for a few bags of fluids, also zolfran and decadron? for anti pukes. Within a short time I finally ate part of a sandwhich and some ice cream...I am eating again and hope to get the upper hand for the rest of the week end :) Only thing that really helped the last few days was the zanex but it puts me out cold...I can sleep 11 hours just getting up to pee a few times and have a drink box. I just feel like I am a zombie and missing out on time with my family. I must be a lite weight becuz they are all of 1 mg LOL. The kids are here and I  don't wanna miss the fun and hugs and smiles.

Take care and know you are all in my prayers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 1 week ago #5184 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic 1st week of chemo
Wendy is so right--it is a temporary situation that will be over before you know it.

Even though I've only been though since the first of the year, the memories are fading already. Try to keep a long-term perspective. Our attitude toward time, our "time horizon," has an enormous impact on our success--your chemo will soon be over and you can get back to living your life 100%.

Don't forget you have a lot of friends here who would love to help all they can.

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

17 years 1 week ago #5170 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic 1st week of chemo
Hi Holly,

You discovered what most people discover, that the worst of the side effects come a couple of days after treatment. Cisplatin is one of the more toxic chemos, while Gemzar is one of the least. So expect it to be less next time around.
blcwebcafe.org/survivingchemo.asp Check out this compilation of tips on how to get through the tough days.

Hang in there my dear, this is a temporary situation.

Wishing you well,
Wendy

17 years 1 week ago #5168 by mznoregrets
1st week of chemo was created by mznoregrets
Hello friends,

Monday was my 1st chemo - cisplatin and gemzar. Port worked fine although it was very tender as it was implanted just last Thursday. OnMonday I felt fine. On Tuesday I felt fine....visited friends, got some groceries, ate just fine. Then Wednesday morning was so not fine. My whole body hurt and felt cold. My heart raced and thundered at times. The nurse came out - my blood pressure was 110 over 70 ? I was nauseatious, had a hard time drinking fluids. Drsaid to take a compazine (sp?) and then I finally took a zanex - slept 11 hours except to get up to pee a few times. Today seems to be somewhat better, Ihave taken in 20 ozfluids,thinking about cereal without tummy flipping out. no heartracing. Neighbor will take me to dr in a few hours if I amnot sure I am ok. To get fluids etc. maybe more anti puke stuff.
  I am hoping this is becuz I had both gemzar and cisplatin. Next 2 mondays I get gemzar only and I pray it is not so rough. Any input is appreciated. My home nurse is great - she anticipated problems from chemo hitting this week - she already had put in for a dietitian to get out here to help me learn how to "eat" through this. I am trying my best - can't say I have ever felt this way before.And I am ever so grateful there is no sig of the c diff in sight. Feel like pansy here. I want to be strong and just plow through it.
  Claire, how is your foot? I been watching for you to post all is well. I may have missed it but I just want to know you are doing great :)
   Love you all, Holly

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne