1st week of chemo

16 years 11 months ago #5568 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic 1st week of chemo
Hi Pat :)

Good Lord! If they would have given me pics of my neobladder....I just might have lost it!!!But it makes sense tho. I am getting everything done to me here since I got home from Mayo's sent up there for review. They should know how it is supposed to look. lol

I am just worried about the spasms...they really are bad. I can't move or breathe when it happens. Lately Itake a Bentyl then 1/2 a zanex an hour later. If something is crimping up or adhesions...well, I would rather they deal with it before it gets worse. Not sure about "intestinal distentions" but it doesn't sound good to me.And I have noticed I am not fully voiding the last week, and yesterday started with a stong odor when I urinate. If I get a UTI will the signs be there or be the same? I also realize they have done no urine tests since I got back home. Is that normal? Also I was told yesterday that I was given decadron again...that is the steroid right? They said it was for the nausea. I would like Mayo oncologist input on it. Any input on this stuff is appreciated.

Thanks for the rooting :) Love ya, Holly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 11 months ago #5566 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic 1st week of chemo
Hi Holly...Good news and bad news huh? I too have an old scar on my lung which every time i have a CT the technician panics...I make sure the same radiologist reads my CT every time locally so he can compare. I also get a CD disc and the test results which are yours to have and send them to my surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic to go over...just prudent.
Sorry about the bowel problems...i know without having any chemo i had a horrible time with diarhea and constipation for the first couple of months...i think part of that goes with the territory with the intestines. They're angry and wrongfully think its your fault and will punish you. You must have a talk with them!!! :D I wonder if you're on any lorazepam as that will lessen spasms ..one of the side effects as they also calm you down.
Did Mayo give you a packet with a picture of exactly what your neo-bladder looks like? I know it was part of my info packet and i keep it in my purse as noone around here knows what an Indiana Pouch looks like much less where it is! It might be in your discharge summary which you can also ask for....if you haven't gotten it already...Thats also yours for the asking. My Internist and my GYN also have a copy of that.
Hang in there....we're rooting for you......Pat

16 years 11 months ago #5558 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic 1st week of chemo
Hi all ,

Thanks for the heads up on chemo things...

Had my CT's done last week to get the run down on my lung nodule and evaluate liver, kidneys etc. The lung nodule is just a scar!!!! And there is nothing in or on my liver and kidneys!!!!!! All they found was some distentions in my intestines and they also acknowledged they are unclear as to what my neobladder should look like. So today I am calling Mayo's and getting chemo,labs and the CT's sent up there to be gone over by the Dr's I trust most.I have had abdominal pain spasms that have increased in intensity to the point I can't move or breathe till they end. Dr's here blame it on chemo and the constant diareeah/constipation. I am not so sure it is usually in the same place. I go to Mayo's in a few weeks for cysytogram and neobladder check anyways plus I want them to do the bone scan too. Sound prudent?

I am so glad to hear Lou and Claire and Joe and all are doing well. You are all in myprayers, Love, Holly

PS I just did the cisplatin and gemzar yesterday so I may be more lurky that chatty but I will keep updating as I can. The cisplatin really does a number on me. And Wendy, I do not yet know how to upload things on the computer. Truth be told ...I haven't figured out how to cut and paste in the emails either...but I try. lol

16 years 11 months ago #5418 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic 1st week of chemo
After I got allergy to Gemzar they wouldn't do and my platelets were at 42,000 and you need a minimum of 50,000 to get treatment. So I went back the next week to start new plan MVAC and my platelets were at an all time high 309,000. The first time b4 I started treatment they were 292,000, I just found that amazing how they can jump back up that high in a week. Just a fact I wanted to share lol. Joe

16 years 11 months ago #5410 by Harland
Replied by Harland on topic 1st week of chemo
Be careful of the side affects of cisplatin. I had 7 rounds of chemo in 2002. The last two rounds were cisplatin and it left me with numb fingers and numb feet. It is very vicious stuff along with another chemo called taxol.

If I can be of any further help please contact me.

Harland

16 years 11 months ago #5400 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic 1st week of chemo
Holly...take your bentyl with a full glass of water..8 oz..if they didn' t tell you....also if you're taking Ativan (Lorazepam) or Xanax you may get a double whammy!
So sorry that bowel isn't cooperating.....i mean they give you all these drugs to knock out the bad bacteria which then also knocks out the good bacteria.....so eat your yogart...seriously!!..........Love ya...get better......Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne