3 years 10 months ago #59495 by rome91
Replied by rome91 on topic Newbie
Thanks You and Good Morning

I have an Oncology appointment June 29 with Malcolm Randall Va in Gainesville But I made an appointment July 10 with Dr. Roger Li at Moffitt Cancer center in Tampa
I really don’t know what to expect but with Dr. Li appointment l will be more informed from my June 29 consult. I now have very little pain since the TURBT at the Va Hospital On June1
My concern is that they could not remove all the lemon size tumor because of muscle invasions and 2 lymph nodes near pelvic

Thanks Again for everyone help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 10 months ago #59494 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Newbie
Sorry to hear your diagnosis. I will second everything that Alan said.....I would especially recommend a second opinion at a place that sees a LOT of bladder cancer cases such as a medical school or nationally recognized center of excellence such as MD Anderson, Memorial Sloan Kettering, Johns-Hopkins...If you let us know where you live perhaps someone will have a suggestion. I have not been in the situation you are in, but my urologist told me at the start that if it ever came time for a radical cystectomy he would INSIST that I seek a second opinion.

I would also second Alan's comment about radiation. Very often in situations such as yours chemotherapy is done prior to surgery, but radiation can do damage. Also you do want a surgeon who does MANY RCs a year. Many are only comfortable with the simplest procedure which may not be the best for you.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 10 months ago #59492 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Newbie
Welcome Rome91,

All questions are welcome and there are many here that have "been there and done that". Keep asking away as someone will have some of that to add.

While your diagnosis is serious keep in mind this still beatable and treatable disease. Stage 3 means you want to attacking expeditiously, especially with lymph node involvement. The chemo certainly makes sense, radiation not quite as much. With stage 3, I am assuming all have talked about your need for a cystectomy. Radiation can sometimes damage tissues needed for reconstruction on a urinary diversion. Thus, a second opinion is sometimes good for fresh eyes, peace of mind and maybe new ideas. However, you do want to get going on this.

I am attaching a link....just copy and paste into your browser on the pros and cons of the 3diversions. On that subject. When you settle on a surgeon make sure you pick one that does many a year (25-35+ a year).
Some will also have a preferred because that is all they know....so research and questions are vital. Most people that have gone through this are happy with their choices. See: my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/12546-urinary-reconstruction--diversion

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

3 years 10 months ago #59491 by rome91
Newbie was created by rome91
Hello l was diagnosed 2weeks ago with stage 3 bladder cancer and 2 lymph node around my pelvic showing cancer I really don’t know what is next but hoping for the best. I had a lemon size tumor removed TURBT in bladder but not completely for fear of penetrating bladder wall and l am still recovering. My urologist stated chemo and radiation maybe needed but l thinking about getting a second opinion before l meet with oncologist (lost and scare). I also was told the urothelial tumor appeared dried up and very little blood When removed
My mind is all over the place right now
Don’t know what to expect l am only 58years old/male

Thanks for listening and stay safe and well

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne