Is it possible to undergo chemo and not lose hair?

11 years 10 months ago #42186 by upnorth
Welcome, I'm sorry you had to come here.

I am not sure if there is a way of not losing your hair during Chemo. It really isn't an issue for most men to lose their hair during treatment. Sometimes even other male members of the family and friends shave their hair off to show support.

My biggest concern is what you said about being dead so you wouldn't have to watch him go threw this. When we are presented with the chance of losing a father or mother we tend to revert back to being the child. We step back uncertain of what to say, or how to react to what is happening. Waiting for them to give us guidance as to what to do.

Having had gone threw this same situation at a very young age, I now look back and wished I would have taken a more active roll in my fathers care. I wish I could go back in time and listen closer to the doctors, held his hand during the recovery, help him sip ice water when his hands shook to much to do it him-self. Or simply had been there when he needed me the most, so I could be the strong one, and let him rest for awhile.

No you shouldn't sit back and watch helplessly. You have to be the strong one now. You have to help take care of him as much as he took care of you when you were a child. You will feel better about it later when you look back at it all.

It's okay to feel a little sorry for your-self, after all you are going threw a very tough time. And it's okay to cry about it also. But please remember to laugh and smile also. Your father should know that you are concerned about him but that you are happy that he is getting the help he needs to get better.

When I was diagnosed last Christmas my son came home from the Army to help take care of me after my first TURBS.No he did't have to be there, and we could have gotten along with out him. But just to look across the room at him sitting there ready to do what ever it took to help me was enough to let me rest when I needed it so much.

Please try not to worry about the little things like losing hair and such. Just focus on the big goal of keeping the cancer at bay. And be there for him. Even if it's only to squeeze his hand and wipe his brow once an awhile. Remember to smile so that he can see his beautiful daughter the way he always wants her to be, Happy.

The fact that you came to this site shows that you are heading in the right direction. And that you are going to be alright. But if you should need any support for your-self or just have a question, remember we are all here for you.

We have been there too. And my greatest wish is that we can some how ease your pain, and try to help you threw this rough time.

Mark

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 10 months ago #42184 by daddys_lil_girl
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting. First of all I wish every single member here a full recovery and I want you to know I really truly understand what everyone's going through. My father was recently diagnosed and I'm so sensitive about it that I can't even say the name of his obvious illness. His bladder was successfully removed a month ago and even though recovery was tough, we got through it. So far so good, but I'm deeply worried about him and the biggest wish of my life is for him to get better. Sometimes I wish I was dead so I wouldn't see him go through all of this but I shouldn't be ungrateful.

My question is has anyone of you gone through chemo without losing your hair? I've seen people undergo chemo once a week and not lose their hair and i know that it depends on the stage of the illness and the combination of drugs that are used, but I wanted to know if anyone here has experienced no hair loss???

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I'd really appreciate it if you answered.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne