Is it possible to undergo chemo and not lose hair?

11 years 10 months ago #42223 by upnorth
Great to hear! We all get that little worry guy in our heads at times. Don't worry just cry it out and get back to living. That is a normal reaction, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Tell your father we are all pulling for him. Please post on how he is doing along the way.

We're here if you need us.

Mark

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 10 months ago #42220 by daddys_lil_girl
Replied by daddys_lil_girl on topic Is it possible to undergo chemo and not lose hair?
Hi everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so sorry it took so long for me to post, I've been a little busy. Thank you ALL for such useful info and insight. I really appreciate it and I wish all of you a happy and cancer-free life. I hope we all learn to never take anyone for granted, especially our loved ones and I pray that God gives us strength to overcome these obstacles.

My dad is fine, his spirits are up and high and I found out that the drug he's using for chemo (Gemzar sp?) causes hair loss in 10-18% of the patients who have used it, of course his health is more important than anything but I just hope he doesn't have to stress about such an issue. He's scheduled to have chemo once a week, let's see what happens. Sometimes my spirits are up and I fell so optimistic and positive, and other times I think about the worst things that could happen,and I break down, but God is great.I'm so happy I found this site and I'm praying for all of you my dear friends.

Henny, you're an inspiration, your strength is admirable!!!

George, Mark, Diane, thanks for your input and advice, I wish you all the best my friends!!!

11 years 10 months ago #42216 by Flamenco.
Hi,
Re the hair loss issue, my sister had something called coldcap treatment which greatly reduced the amount of hair loss during her chemo for breast cancer - at the time that was one of the things that she was very concerned about, but it involved quite a journey as the only hospital that offered the treatment was a fair distance from home - I don·t know what drugs she was on-
Diane

11 years 10 months ago #42213 by upnorth
Wow. You have been there and done that, for sure. It is great to hear someone so positive, even after going threw all of that. You truly are an inspiration to us all.

I have not had any BGC or Chemo as of yet. But after my TURBS I had a very bad reaction to Cypro (Antibiotic). Took the wind right out of my sails for a while. But I got up every morning and went to work, all but two days. Even though I was sick and felt very ill I would go as long as I could before I would have to stop and go home to rest. Each day I made it longer and longer until I could make it all day.

Being at work made me feel normal, and my fellow workers kept supporting me and helping me push to get better. I am fortunate to have a job that would allow me to try and work instead of making me stay home. It provided an incentive to get up each day.

I think if you can you should try and keep doing your daily activities as much as possible. I keeps you from falling in to the pitty me slump, that is so easy to get trapped into. I also gets you out with others who can support you along the way.

Mark

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

11 years 10 months ago #42211 by henneke
Hi My name is Henny and I am a stage 4 bladder cancer with metastasis to the brain. My first dagnosis was made July 31 2010. I have had the brain tumor removed (complete success) followed by 2 1hour treatments of cyberknife radiation. Then I had my bladder tumor removed for about 95 % folowed by chemo (cisplatin) once a week for 8 weeks and radiation 36 daily treatments. I never lost my hair with the chemo but I had shaved it because one part had been shaved for my brain surgery. I changed my whole lifestyle. Like stopped smoking, am eating blueberries every day!!!!!! eat a salad every day Drink lots of water. I am cancerfree at this time!!!!! Yahoo!!!!!!
My oncologist did not even want to discuss remission to begin with and I am due now for a petscan but she ordered a regular scan instead due to my remission!!. You just have to believe in prayer and stay positive!!!!!!!! I am interested though how every one deals with all the side effects. Like neuropathy and ear aches and tiredness. Thanks.

11 years 10 months ago #42199 by GKLINE
Nicely Said Mark

It is now indeed the time to be strong. And Who says your father is not going to get through this as strong as he usually is.
Yes, cancer is a scary thing. And Yes, it can be rough at times. And Yes, people die because of it.
But more and more of us are LIVING just fine AFTER cancer.And So Will your Dad! I can just feel it.
But he WILL need you. I needed my wife and daughter. They were my rocks and we all pitched in together and fought the battle together.

You will too. Right now it seems daunting. When you jump in and start fighting as a team, you will both find a new closeness. More than at anytime in your lives.
Be ready for a few tears. A little laughing, A lot of heartfelt Love.

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne