Hello I am new here...

17 years 3 months ago #3791 by Jmema
Replied by Jmema on topic Hello I am new here...
MZ
Sorry you had such an awful time. I am sure everyone in this room has had a day they would not like to relive again so that is what makes this forum so wonderful. You know that everyone here has been there, done that and they know just how you feel and can really understand and be supportive.
I have a coping mechanism that works for me. When I have to go through something painful or frightening I "offer it up". Then it has a purpose other than just painful and frightening. I guess we all find our coping mechanism and you sound like you haver very good support.. As Joe says tomorrow is another day. I hope the sun is shining and you feel better today.
Blessings....Jean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 3 months ago #3790 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Hello I am new here...
Patricia I am only here to give and get support and also share the most accurate information of things that I have gone tru so far. You may wanna take a peek at this link. Best wishes, Joe

www.ellisfischel.org/thoracic/lungCancer/lymphNodes.shtml

17 years 3 months ago #3789 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Hello I am new here...
MZ I can totaly understand your frustrations here. When I had my TUR done it was at the Univ of Penna. My wife was in the waiting room and they have monitors there for each patient they show the patient is in surgery and then when the patient goes to the recovery room. Now my wife sat there and watched different Dr's or residents come in and out talking to others. She sat there 3 hrs and then finally went to find someone seeing I was in recovery room and now being moved to room. They gave her the room# and she went there. But in between they did not bother to tell her they took me to radiology for xrays. By this time she was really worried but found one of my DR's residents who did give her some info on what was going on here so she had a heck of a day. They could not have apologized enough but still no reason for this and they knew it. The next day I had to back in the OR cause my ureater was blocked and the Cath they put in fell out and they had to remove that and put a stent in. This time after my procedure I think she had 3 different residents come out off and on to update her that all was well. What I am saying after she got sleep that night and the fact the stent worked we just looked on the bright side and I stayed awaked all day after this procedure we just and enjoyed our day together and decided to just look forward things happen. Hang in there tomorrow is another day and since that episode there have been no more so hang in there. Best Wishes, Joe

17 years 3 months ago #3787 by clur
Replied by clur on topic Hello I am new here...
Oh MZ
I am so sorry youve had such an awful time it must have really knocked your confidence.I am from the UK so really dont understand how things happen on the otherside of the Atlantic but I would ring my Consultants secretary and explain how upset I was and see if there is anyway you can get the formalities out of the way before your RC.
They would have been scraping me of the ceiling if I had been treated like you.I was a nervous wreck and still am before every procedure.You will get through this you have great support from your husband which is really important and your PMA will soom return.
Take care
Clairexxx

17 years 3 months ago #3786 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Hello I am new here...
Dear MZ,

My experience with surgery has always been a "Hurry Up and Wait" scenario.  It has never been any different than this.   But yours sounds like it was bumped up a few notches.  Most of your frustration seems to have revolved around paper work.  For me, about the time the 3rd OR nurse wh asks me if I know my name and birthday and to point to which side is having the surgery, I'm ready to pull IV's out and go home. Not to mention wanting to slap someone.  One time my surgery was delayed because my doc called and said he was at Burger King getting a burger. :-?  Well, you know, when I thought through that one, I'd much rather have an un-hungry doctor working on me. Wouldn't you?

To a point, I try to be as patient and kind as I can with the perceived ineptitude of those who are taking care of me in surgery.  After all our lives are in their hands, and there isn't much we can do about it.

But I can tell you one thing, when I'm just coming out of anesthesia and am hungry on top of that,
Man, Don't Tread On Me.

Sorry you had such an awful day.  I know you will be glad when this is all behind you.  The best you can take from this particular bad day, is to be well prepared for what it will be like with your upcoming surgery.   I know this isn't much comfort, but maybe there is a way to get the paperwork prepared before hand.  Maybe you can even talk with your doc or a hospital liason about ways to make your experience smoother.  After all, you have enough anxiety to deal with about what is happening with your body.

Warmest regards,
Rosemary  

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 3 months ago #3784 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic Hello I am new here...
Hi - I am back from the hospital. Today was not a good day - may I vent what happened just to feel heard

We got there about 20 mins early to have time for medical power of atty papers to get filed. We were assured the surgical floor nurses were quite able to assist getting them witnessed and filed. Well, when we got there we found the nurses claimed they were unable to do so as they provide care. The social worker didn't respond until I should have been in surgery. MAJOR Frustration. Eventually this was completed.

Then the anesthesiologist met with us. I was ofered to have a student do a spinal or GA. He also shared how he supervised 2 ORs and would be toggling between the two.I opted for the GA and was offered some valium to relax as I was getting quite nervous. When I asked to be assured the Surgeon would be doing my surgery and not students - the valium was stalled because if I didn't want to consent without knowing this was so. The DR had not filled in the consent form for surgery and he was currently in surgery so I got the luxury of wondering for quite some time what was happening. Eventually he came and filled out the paperwork, I got the valium and was prepped for surgery. The nurse had had an especially hard time believing that I was indeed aware of why I was having surgery - after explaining it 3 flippin times she had the DR explain it before she stopped asking me to reiterate.

Things got to running way late but I was eventually taken to surgery. The post op seemed to go well but I was ravenous and very thirsty as I had no food or beverages for 24 hours by this time. Once I had been put in a room the nurse ordered some food for me - saying it would be about 20 mins. 1.5 hours later I still had nothing was feeling quite nausous maybe from the splitting headache - but I wanted to get to the cafeteria and get something. I was told it was closed. The promises that it food would eventually come only served to upset me more. Maybe the effects of anethesia, the perpetual paperwork probs and the 24 hour no food or drink thing got the better of me - but I said I wanted to slap the dietition. At which point it only got worse.

I left there feeling confused, ill, in pain, angry, abandoned and totally freaked out. I guess there is very little latitude given to someone under extreme distress being fumbled by numerous departments. Makes me wonder how in the hell I am going to be superwoman with a 100 % positive attitude when basic fundimental needs are so botched. I feel cornered by an unpredictable  threat to my life, and unreasonable expections of those who are supposed to help. I am questioning if I have what it takes to be treated like this to get treatment.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne