Skin Irritations around stoma?

13 years 1 month ago #36822 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
Glad to see your post Herb. My redness is also getting smaller and less worrysome. I'll probably do one more salve treatment but also will be using bags with the "old school" adhesive. Hollister has been calling to be sure I'm progressing and my stoma nurse is online so great minds are my support system. That is a huge comfort.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 1 month ago #36820 by Herb
Replied by Herb on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
Hopefully last post on this subject: using Doxycycline pills & Bactroban cream - Staff is gone; using Nystatin powder and proxide, fungus is gone and eye solution (too many ingredients for such small bottle to read)Pink Eye is also gone. Along with this was able to go back to regular Hollister convex bag without any adapter ring lasted 3 days and would have gone longer but wanted to take sneak a peak--- stoma is now its ole smilely self. So anyone who get infections be of good cheer you can defeat the little buggers!

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

13 years 1 month ago #36804 by Herb
Well got busy and forgot to make an entry here: alll three infections are getting better, almost gone --- Infectious Disease Doc's never got in touch with me --- I am sure they were just too busy :-) but luckily Stoma Nurse was correct backed up Primary Care Physician we have just about won the battle; healed up enough that regular convex bad is on third day with out adapter ring. Whooppee!

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

13 years 1 month ago #36800 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
My stoma nurse took a different approach and got me a Rx salve “Nyststin/Triamcinolone cream”. This is rubbed well into the skin before applying the bag.

I did a little surfing and found the Nystatin is to control fungus and the Triamcinolone is for other skin irritations. I’m on my 2nd bag with this routine and showing very encouraging improvement.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

13 years 1 month ago #36761 by Herb
For three months I did not have to use any barrier --- simply had to find combination of bag and fitting to work which was difficult at first as it is for many because stoma kept changing --- finally stopped at a 7/8's but definately was an 'inny' so ended up with convex fitting which also needed the adapter ring. Have had to use caking with present infection --- culture still out but looks like I have both fungis and a staff, gee two for the price of one. Well one step at a time thanks for reply glad things are going well.

13 years 1 month ago #36760 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
Hi
In the beginning I had difficulty getting appliances to stick and had inexperienced nurses. One method used was the caking desribed. It quickly made my peristomal skin more irritated and painful.
I found the my skin does best with first making sure it is dry before appling a single layer of barrier. I change appliances every 3 days. This has been working well for 3 + months now.
I hope all gets better soon :) Holly

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne