Skin Irritations around stoma?

13 years 2 months ago #36747 by Herb
Replied by Herb on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
Yes, was told many years ago by a dentist, I lost all my teeth at age of 30, he said, Herb put them in your mouth, don't use aqnything to hold them because your tongue is quickest and stringest muscle you have and if you leave them in your body will adopt them as if they are part of the body --- his advice worked, my wife did not know I had dentures until one of my kids let out the secret. Did same thing with heaqing aides, contacts, glasses and it has always worked --- I done same with the bag, inclusing hose and foley at night and 90% of the time it works --- still have some of those 4 letter words when I pull tube lose or when one of the bags lets me know it can still try to be the boss.

All my healthcare folks are working on the problem and I will let you know if their collective wisdom and knowledge takes the itchy owness out my life. Take Care, Herb Robbins (Mature [maybe]retired Padre)

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 2 months ago #36745 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
Because these bags are to be with us the rest of our lives we must of necessity become experts on it’s care. I’m only now (at 9 months) excepting that fact. When you came to the group I was having HUGE problems with my mind in this respect. A little known fact is that you modified my relationship with my bags. That is I don’t use exactly the same 4 lettered words when I shout at my leaking bag!

I look on these little hiccups in our relation with our bags as a diversion from the total picture which can be daunting at times (even for a man of your strong background).

So stay strong and keep posting to our collective knowledge bank.
Your bag buddy in Sacramento
Mike Walker

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

13 years 2 months ago #36744 by jimswife
Replied by jimswife on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
Golly, Herb, those germs and fungi surely do have it out for you! Be careful!!! I am not sure how long it takes for a fungus to be cured. But, I would think just a few days isn't enough. Hope it gets better soon! Then maybe try the caking part on areas that are more sensitive. Just a thought. Sure am glad Jim hasn't had a fungus

13 years 2 months ago #36741 by Herb
Mike we do seem to be on similar track --- spoke with nurse at my surgeon's office, she spoke to Doc and he says he is making me an appointment in Albuquerque with 'Infectious Disease Group' for he is concerned with the spreading of rash to other areas and thinks maybe eye involvement is connected to infection. Called Edgepark for them to drop ship some more bags and adapters and they are going to send samples of similar ConvaTec bag. Well it keeps me busy! Keep in touch Herb

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

13 years 2 months ago #36740 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
Herb, I’m sorry that you are dealing with fungus And pink eye. I’m sure when you solve these 2 problems you will be able to look back on this stressful time with a smile. Also I hope you will keep us all updated on these so should we have to deal with the same problem we will know how it is solved.

I had a great appt with my Super Nurse and it looks as if I’m sensitive to the bag adhesive. I have samples of bags using the original adhesive. I’ll keep you advised on this. I have a whole bag of samples. Several of you have posted about the Eakin barrier seal. I’m going to see if this is an improvement over the regular Hollister things. There is even a spray adhesive that I’ll try if my bag won’t stick to reddened skin. My stoma has changed size so I’ll be getting custom size stuff in the future and I’ll use a belt and a ridged frame bag.

Overall I’m progressing. I no longer go into panic mode when the bag leaks. Once this skin irritation is solved I’ll get back to my 2 bags per week schedule just in time for spring gardening.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

13 years 2 months ago #36729 by Herb
Well today is Wednesday --- have been used prescribed 'NYSTOP' a nystatin topical powder since Monday do not see great improvement but not sure how long it takes to get rid of fungis. At same time got 'pink eye' geez the bugs are after me. Will try to check with Presbyterian in Albuquerque.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne