Skin Irritations around stoma?

13 years 2 months ago #36598 by jimswife
Replied by jimswife on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
Herb try Edgepark medical supplies online. They sell all sorts of ostomy supplies including powders not sure about the spray since Jim uses the skin prep barrier wipes not spray. May try the spray sometime see how it works. But with the wipes no problem with doing caking method. It literally cleared up Jim's broken down skin within 4 days like a baby's bottom! :+)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 2 months ago #36597 by jimswife
Replied by jimswife on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
Trust me, guys, the caking process does the trick. Poor Jim had bleeding open areas around his opening (remember he's an innie like a 2nd bellybutton no rosebud for Jim). I called his stoma nurse from the hospital while he was a chemo I met with her and she showed me how to do it. It works like a charm. 1st powder, 2nd skin barrier prep, then repeat about 3 times. Dab at the powder without blowing or wiping excess off where the sore/red areas are. You will see it does sort of cake up. Then apply the wafer. Last layer will be the skin prep to keep the stickiness going. Also, we have found Jim does better with the flanges with the paper around it and they are 5x5s not 4x4. The all "putty" type 4x4 flanges just didn't work for him. It seems the paper edged type don't irritate as much and stick just as well if not better. But, that's on Jim. We took a long time to get the final best fit for him.

13 years 2 months ago #36594 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
Well, I went all the way across town but 3M has the spray and a whole line of skin care stuff for pouch people. The No sting barrier film spray was $15.59 and that is also the online price. (It’s only about 4 inches tall) . I’m thinking Jimswife is correct. I can get drying of the red area with one layer but have not done the caking procedure to eliminate redness.

The Zeasorb-AF powder is available at most drug stores.

www.shop3m.com/3m-cavilon-no-sting-barrier-film.html

If you click up from this page you can study the entire line of "Cavilon" products.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

13 years 2 months ago #36591 by Herb
Replied by Herb on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
Hey Motormike where did you find spray and powder on Internet or local pharmacy or supply place? Herb

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

13 years 2 months ago #36590 by Herb
cool we have not been coating it multiple times and that may be helpful --- agree on how can something that stings etc make it better but guess it does will keep in touch thanks Jim's wife.

Herb

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

13 years 2 months ago #36589 by Herb
Ok on being on the same page; have not called Hollister or Edgepark to see what they say; thought about changing to Convatec or som eother brand but agree hard to tell when irration is still present. Did go to see Stoma Nurse in Albuquerque and she showed us how to apply the powder and then skin barrier. She was not concerned about irritation said it was minor --- true but may be minor but I know it is there B) I will keep checking here and see what your experiences are thanks.

Herb

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne