stoma care

13 years 2 months ago #36284 by mamatrausch
Replied by mamatrausch on topic stoma care
thanks for the info on all your stoma care. It just confirms that how I take care of my stoma is FINE! Baby wipes and viva paper towels with warm water is all I use. Love the comment alcohol for drinking only (funny) Pat yes I cant wait to get the bill... But Im trying to get input on this pouch pain spasms and leaking
Has anyone here had a latex allergy from cathing??? It was something I thought of last night. I will use only silicone caths for the next few days and see. I have bad allergies to all tapes and adhesives so I just ude a panty liner over my stoma.

T1/G3-CIS 10-01-2010
10-27-2010-Indiana Pouch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 2 months ago #36279 by Gracie
Replied by Gracie on topic stoma care
I couldn't agree more. Alcohol seems too harsh.

After my surgery, I had a great home nurse. When she would clean the incision she would use sterile pads and some of the saline that we use for irrigation. It never stung and my incision healed beautifully.

In the beginning, I used the same thing with my stoma. I very lightly patted it cleaned. It never burned and never had any infections of any sort on my skin. The only irritation I've had is from the tape I use but thats a separate subject.

Not sure if thats for you or not. Today, I primarily use plain warm water. But alcohol - other then in a cocktail, I would pass on.

Gracie

13 years 2 months ago #36278 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic stoma care
I've been thinking about you alot and hoping things were much improved - maybe I will try to call you this weekend - I have been focused on finding a good home for the abandoned dog our family temporarily adopted - got that out of the way and can now do some catching up on other things. I cannot imagine using alcohol on such a delicate, special piece of human tissue. I object to that doctor's instructions. I don't even like to use gloves. I have only used the baby wipes and specifically NOT the ones with alcohol. I find the ones with no fragrance or with a little aloha vera. It's difficult for me to imagine anyone with more senstive skin than I have but apparently your stoma has that reputation. Hugs.

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

13 years 2 months ago #36277 by LeeH
Replied by LeeH on topic stoma care
Heaven forbid, they would cancel work. Then they would have to pay you for it.

Fortunately, I can work from home with a VPN when I choose. My company isn't closed either.

Lee in Buffalo Grove

PS. Well anyway, the dog is happy running thru the snow :)

13 years 2 months ago #36261 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic stoma care
alcholol wipes......ouch...try that one time on the stoma..let me know the outcome.
i only wash with anti-bacterial soft soap..push container..just my hands.....open the catheter and surgi-lube 3 gm package and cath...i only wipe the stoma with a clean,soft Viva towel with only water and gently as i reacted to soaps..and i pat dry with another clean piece of Viva towel and put on a bandaid.
Wonder what that bill will come to?
pat

13 years 2 months ago #36259 by mamatrausch
stoma care was created by mamatrausch
I just went to see an infectious disease Dr in the quest to get to the bottom of my indiana pouch pain and spasms. He wants me to use gloves and alcohol wipes to clean my stoma area. I use baby wipes and just wash with antibacterial soap. So what do others do
about stoma care??? IM CURIOUS.......
Julie

PS Im North of chicago and we are having a BLIZZARD!!! 24-? inches of snow. But of course they dont cancel work tomarrow ARGGG!!!!

T1/G3-CIS 10-01-2010
10-27-2010-Indiana Pouch

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne