Needing a surgeon for RC

13 years 11 months ago #31733 by Andy
Replied by Andy on topic Needing a surgeon for RC
Hi Jillo -

I'm a 52 year old male 2 months out from RC and neo bladder surgery at University of Michigan. My leakage is very slight during the day, almost not at all unless I'm very full or very gassy! Also very slight at night, I get up usually twice to use the bathroom. I'm told it should still improve to no leakage during the day and almost none at night. So far I'm very pleased with my progress. Many folks progress to total control around the clock, but of course there are no guarantees. I'm able to void completely so I don't need to cath anymore. Just wanted to give you some info - best of luck with whatever course you take!

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 11 months ago #31732 by jillo
Replied by jillo on topic Needing a surgeon for RC
Thanks Pat, I asked about the Indiana pouch and the dr. just told me that he advises against it because of the complications they have had. I didn't ask about referring me to another surgeon at the mayo. since he had me convinced it wasn't a good option. Now I'm not so sure.

13 years 11 months ago #31731 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Needing a surgeon for RC
jillo...am surprised they didn't refer you to a uro/surgeon at Mayo who does the Indiana...did you ask?
I'm assuming you can travel? The best at Indiana Pouches are where they originated at the U. of Indiana in Indpls..Dr. Koch or Dr. Bihrle
www.cancer.iu.edu/patients/find_doctor/physician_bio.php?id=3151
www.cancer.iu.edu/patients/find_doctor/physician_bio.php?id=3032
Another top center is at USC/Norris where they all know how to do the Indiana...Dr. Inderbir Gill, Dr. , Dr. Sia Daneshmand, and Dr. Eila Skinner...all in Best Doctors in the US
www.doctorsofusc.com/doctor/bio/view/126223
www.doctorsofusc.com/doctor/bio/view/110738
www.usc.edu/schools/medicine/util/directories/faculty/profile.php?PersonIs_ID=1090
Pat

13 years 11 months ago #31728 by jillo
Needing a surgeon for RC was created by jillo
After receiving a second opinon from a surgeon at the Rochester Mayo in Mn, I have decided to have an RC due to 4 recurrences of high grade tumors. 1 being T1G3. The problem is this surgeon does not recommend or perform an Indiana pouch. He is recommending a neobladder. I'm 44 and am not sure I am ready to deal with a lifetime of leaking problems. I am located in Nebraska and have an appointment with our local urologist tomorrow for his thoughts, but am worried about using the local urologist. Does anyone know a good surgeon in my area or even at the Rochester Mayo that performs the indiana pouch? Or am I worrying about too much about the neobladder?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne