Question from SledEd

14 years 6 months ago #28372 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Question from SledEd
Ed,

Regarding the sheets question.

Once you get home from the RC surgery, you may want to have cotton sheets on the bed and use the mattress protector pads either on top of the sheet or under the sheet. My wife preferred that I have it on top of the sheet so I didn't get the sheets wet at all.

The problem with that, is those things are a moisture barrier so it get kind of hot when sleeping sometimes. Even under the sheet it does the same kind of thing.

We got those crib pad things. They come in different sizes and the bigger ones are better if you move around much in your sleep.

What I did is wear those Depends underwear (fancy name for diaper) and I wore a "man pad" inside of the diaper. It provides for additional absorbtion as I found I would get leakage when just using the diaper without the pad inside.

Here is a link to stuff for men: www.us.depend.com/male/Products.aspx

Of course there are other brands but these are the ones I could get at my local Walmart. You also want to get those scented plastic bags to put the used ones in.

I'm sure that others can let you know what they did when they got home.

When you are first home after an RC, you will still have a catheter in. So....no problem with the bed getting wet. It's just once the catheter comes out, it will be like there is just an open tap and it will just leak out. It won't be flowing out because it's not really storing up the urine. It comes from the kidneys to the neobladder and out. The more kegels you do, the faster that resolves and you start holding urine in the neobladder.

The urology nurse will give you a schedule with how often you should empty the neobladder so it can slowly, slowly stretch to the right size. They start it pretty small (around 40cc or so) and it will stretch over time to around 400 or more.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 6 months ago #28371 by mmc
Question from SledEd was created by mmc
I'm posting this over here as it was originally posted in the Metastatic section under another conversation.

Seems like time for it to stand on it's own.
Here is a message from SledEd.

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne