Positive Cytology...

14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #26421 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Positive Cytology...
I'm going to U of C also but it's University of Colorado.... :)

In any case, my uro doesn't jut take results even from CAT scans and xrays. For one's done in-house he gets the reports but then looks at the images himself in addition.

For tests done up here locally, he has me bring the CD so he can check/confirm any findings.

I like my uro!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...
The topic has been locked.
14 years 10 months ago #26420 by reseda1420
Replied by reseda1420 on topic Positive Cytology...
Pat

I am going back there next week but I am concerned about what may be omission by them. I am also concerned with the quality of the of the CT written reports. They are not as complete and detailed as what I got at Highland Park Hospital (Evanston Northwestern Group).

I have reason to question the quality of care there Pat. We'll see if those concerns are addressed next week. If not, I'll be getting follow up somewhere else.

Lee
14 years 10 months ago #26417 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Positive Cytology...
Hope you're going back to U of C for the next test? Better team of pathologists on duty i can assure you. In fact found this today on Uro Today on second opinions for pathology......its good advise for anyone.
www.urotoday.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view_ua&id=2222966
Pat
14 years 10 months ago #26416 by mmc
Lee,

You can be a uro. Mine said the same thing about the condom catheters and capacity.

Mike

Age 54
14 years 10 months ago #26415 by reseda1420
Replied by reseda1420 on topic Positive Cytology...
Mike,

Me and U of C will be having a heart to heart about that next week. I do have all tests reviewed by my Uro who did the surgery so at least I am getting a double check. It appears that to some degree we can trust no single entity.

I find it fascinating they have no qualms about the CT up thru the chest but pass on the cytology. My insurance companies (and they changed in the middle of all of this) have never hesitated on any procedure.

Just a semi-educated guess, but if they find a stricture or block or scar tissue they can resolve so you can empty fully, I'll be bet you can ditch the condom catheters and be fully continent at night. You certainly seem to have the capacity with about 750
14 years 10 months ago #26414 by mmc
Lee,

Thanks for the good wishes.

With regard to the chest xray, I think the CT you are getting is probably better. My guess is my doc just went with the xray with a plan to do CT if there was any concern from the xray results. Xray is WAY cheaper than CT.

My opinion is that cytologies should be done as a routine part of follow ups. Cytology is a urine test specifically looking for abnormal cells. It's expensive but sometimes the first thing that shows anything.

I had an all-clear on all of my tests and cysto back August, but when I had some blood in the urine a couple weeks later, the cytology is what discovered the cancer return. The scans didn't show anything and a followup TURB in September, after the cyctology discovered cells, showed muscle invasive.

I think cytology tests are expensive so NM22 or something like that is usually done. I was having those quarterly after my initial TURB and BCG starting in 2006.

Given my personal experience, I would suggest that people request regular cytologies.

Mike

Age 54
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne