Positive Cytology...

14 years 10 months ago #26431 by Webs
Replied by Webs on topic Positive Cytology...
Did a urine culture this week because of achiness and having to go every 20 min or so instead of every hour.:woohoo: Big surprise it came back as UTI. Willing to believe it this time because of the ache and frequency. Your right if we had as many UTI's as they want to believe we have we would wipe out the antibiotic stock pile.:P

Do you do the Cytology because you asked? or did your doc suggest that you keep doing them? Just wondering if this is something I should be considering.

Webs
The topic has been locked.
14 years 10 months ago #26429 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Positive Cytology...
Patricia wrote:
Or, if you really like onions and asparagus, just don't panic when your urine smells strong and strange. :D

The cytlogy is for cancer cell detection, not urinary tract infection. www.mayoclinic.com/health/urine-cytology/HQ01050

They do the urine culture for infection (and always tell me I have one and I always tell them I don't). :)

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #26425 by reseda1420
Replied by reseda1420 on topic Positive Cytology...
The scheduling and timing sound pretty similar Pat. I do remember asking or my wife asking (most likely) about radiation and was told the newer machines did not use as much.

Well, we'll see whats up next Tuesday.
14 years 10 months ago #26424 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Positive Cytology...
OK here i am jumping off the deep end....
In the beginning......
I did my follow ups at The Cleveland Clinic...CT scan was immediately given to me by the CT dept to take upstairs to my surgeon who put it up for me to see and had a few other people pop in to take a look and that was that.
Follow ups i did my CT in Cinti and read here...then had the disc sent to Cleveland for confirmation of original reading...they were always in sinc with the exception of one time a newbie read my CT and said i had gallstones...i called my usual radiologist who was quite happy to take a look and compare and called me back in 20 minutes to tell me i did not have gallstones...newbie got confused as he had never seen an Indiana Pouch before.
Protocols differ from institution to institution and doc to doc i guess. My follow ups consisted of 6 month CT after cystectomy...a chest x-ray once a year..(CT was not a full body...too much radiation according to my doc)..blood work done every 6 months and is still going on 6 l/2 yrs later but the CTS stoped at every 6 months after 3 yrs and then just once a year...now its only if i have a problem. I cheated a bit on those scans as i was nervous about the radiation...would drag it out a couple of months..
Cytologies........never done....probably just as well as they would have been treating me for infections that i didn't have. I have on occasion gone in and given a sample when smell or something alarms me....don't eat onions and asparagus!!
If i was really concerned about the reading of a CT I would ask someone like Johns Hopkins to give me their second opinion...i'm not so keen on Cleveland anymore.......been listening to the skuttlebutt....not good.
Pat
14 years 10 months ago #26423 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Positive Cytology...
Mine reads their reports in addition to doing his own assessment. I like that option the best.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...
14 years 10 months ago #26422 by reseda1420
Replied by reseda1420 on topic Positive Cytology...
Mike,

I actually find that a little comforting that mine isn't the only one that does that. When I go to U of Chicago, the Ct is done in the morning and I get a disk on the spot. That afternoon, the doctor reads the image himself. When I followup at my uro, I bring him the disk and he reads it directly. The report is really for my edification I suppose since it appears no one else reads it.

But frankly, I was always a little uncomfortable with that since my thinking is the reports are done by someone who by his nature has substantially more experience at reading these than any of the treating physicians.

Come on Pat, how 'bout you jumping in here?

Lee
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne