The upside of radical cystectomy

14 years 10 months ago #26059 by Betsy Mae
Replied by Betsy Mae on topic The upside of radical cystectomy
Have to agree with you Mike having been a martyr to my bladder all my life!
:blink:

Betsy Mae

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 10 months ago #26058 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic The upside of radical cystectomy
Al,

If MD Anderson recommended removal, then I would try to appeal the insurance decision.

In the letter, be sure to request the names of the doctors that have decided RC is not required as you would like to be able to hold them personally and financially liable in case the cancer spreads beyond the bladder due to their treatment recommendation when one of the top cancer institutes is recommending removal.

Worth a shot....

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 10 months ago #26057 by alsimons
Replied by alsimons on topic The upside of radical cystectomy
Mike;

Amen In this case you are signing to the choir. I made the decision back in January to get rid of the darn thing as recommended by MD Anderson........but docs and insurance mandate I try this BCG first.

Al

14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #26055 by mmc
I've been thinking about posting this for a while and finally decided to do it.

I have always been a "glass-half-full" kind of guy and always try to look at the positive side of things even when things don't appear very positive to others. So it could just be my warped sense of reality, but honestly, I feel there are some pretty great upsides to my having had a radical cystectomy back in October of 2008.

First: The bladder cancer is gone! This is a pretty big deal. After having problems with BCG treatments (high fever, chills, probability of sepsis, etc.), I was in a wait and see mode. Every three months getting a cysto and just wondering when it was coming back. I had pretty much decided if it did come back, I was going to push for RC so I could get on with things and get rid of it because I didn't want to wait too long and let it have the chance of spreading. I had CIS, which is pretty aggresive. When it did come back, it was invasive so I didn't have to argue with a uro about taking it out. At that point it is standard procedure to remove it. The great people on this site gave me lots of information about different types of urinary diversion so I felt prepared when it did come back. I opted for neobladder.

Second: After YEARS of having prostate problems (enlarged prostate, periodic prostatitis, and more), I was having to go the bathroom about six times in the first three hours of being awake each morning. Also, I had to get up between four and seven times a night to go to the bathroom. For years, I was well known for having to leave meetings to frequent the restroom. After the RC and getting it trained, I go about every four hours. I started using condom catheters at night and sleep all night, every night. Can't tell you what a difference that rest makes to my days! I know I could probably work on the setting alarm schedule thing and getting up once a night but I'm just so happy with the rest I now get that, frankly, I don't even want to bother. I can sit in long meetings without having to get up to go. I can watch a movie at the movie theater and not have to leave in the middle or "just when it gets to the good part" to go to the bathroom. I love it! I no longer have to stop and use gas station rest rooms when I drive to the airport. The list goes on...

So, while many may lament the possibility of having to lose their bladder, my view (after having had the surgery) is "good riddance"!

Did I mention that the cancer is gone? :)

I hope this helps those who may be facing the surgery. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and unlike a Road Runner show, that light is not a train!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne