The upside of radical cystectomy

14 years 10 months ago #26121 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic The upside of radical cystectomy
I never had any of the bathroom frequency problems or infection problems that some do until a few months prior to being dx'd. Because mine was invasive and a very aggressive cancer, all doctors I spoke with recommended the RC. It was the scariest thing I have ever had to do but handled it with grace and peace as a result of my faith and trust in God and the great advice and support I was give by folks here on the forum...especially Pat and Holly. They are my forever heros. :)

My journey through and beyond cancer has been the hardest but most rewarding adventure of my life. I learned so much and gained more than I lost. If I had to undo it...I would not. Besides, with my Indy pouch, I can go longer between bathroom breaks than most friends my age and don't have to get up during the night unless I drink lots of liquids or dine on fruit during the dinner hour. I love being able to stand up and pee like the guys and have even practiced writing my name in the snow. :) I feel very blessed. Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 10 months ago #26108 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic The upside of radical cystectomy
I would like to add my 2 cents by saying "DITTO" Although I didn't have the BCG treatment ( I was initially mortified by the surgeon saying "we need to go directly to radical surgery...NOW") I am now so glad he went ahead and took out the bad and rebuilt the new.
Did I mention, the cancer is gone?
Yes, life is not exactly the same as it was, but It's close, real close. Considering the alternative, I'm very pleased too.:cheer:

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

14 years 10 months ago #26078 by balihigh
Replied by balihigh on topic The upside of radical cystectomy
My story is so much like Mikes except I am female and my problem was interstitial cystitis. For as long as I can remember I had frequent urination. I knew where every bathroom was in the county and what number the rest areas where on the interstates. Getting up only 3 times a night was a very good night. When my interstitial cystitis was really flaring especially after I began BCG treatments, I "slept" next to the toilet because I had to get up every 15-30 minutes.

I have the illeal conduit and sleeping all night with the night bag makes up for all the pain and trauma of my RC. Yes, I am CANCER FREE!! Life is good and oh, need I mention that I appreciate each day so much more and I am living my life not sweating the small stuff any more. It is strange to say that bladder cancer was almost a blessing for me.
Balihigh

female 60
1/08 dx 4 tumors TURB
T1 G3
12 BCG + interferon
5/08 another tumor/TURB
9/08 RC illieal conduit

14 years 10 months ago #26070 by RAH
Replied by RAH on topic The upside of radical cystectomy
Add me to the list of agreeable people.
Even though I have a different diversion with an Illeal Conduit, I sleep all night like a baby; not waking up crying and wet, but happy and dry.

And knowing the cancer is no longer there is a piece of mind that out weighs any amount of discomfort that the surgery and recovery provided.

Rick

14 years 10 months ago #26062 by Webs
Replied by Webs on topic The upside of radical cystectomy
I also have to agree that I am glad the cancer is out and I did not have to do BCG. It sounds like a long hard road.

Webs

14 years 10 months ago #26061 by reseda1420
Replied by reseda1420 on topic The upside of radical cystectomy
My tumor was large enough that they went immediately to RC. There was no spread, all traces of cancer gone (yeah, no guarantees, but....) Now, having read all the BCG stories, I'm happy that it is done. I get my followup every 6 months now, sleep well at nite and am almost back to what was before all this.

I felt a little guilty about that before, but it's nice to know, I'm not the only one.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne