UTI\'s

14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #25897 by reseda1420
Replied by reseda1420 on topic UTI\'s
Every time I go to my Uro's office, the first thing I do is void into a machine which instantly charts and measures both total volume and rate. I watch the chart print as I am going. This is immediately followed by an ultrasound of the bladder to determine the residual.

That is how the doctor was able to determine there was probably scar tissue forming. He said it is not unusual and they would use a laser, which they had in the office to burn away the scar tissue. He also said he would do it very conservatively so I might have to do it again.

I was quickly scheduled and the actual procedure took about 15 minutes. I had a catheter for 2 days. It was done under a local and I watched the procedure on the screen. While I couldn't drive home, I was really fine after it.

I am somewhat surprised that many people are getting a number of courses of antibiotics without result. I was told that if I would continue to have a problem I would be hospitalized to have a much stronger course of antibiotics infused to put an end to it.

Mike, I wouldn't bet on it showing up on the CT scan. I was getting those regularly and that was never mentioned. They always used the the rate, volume and ultrasound to diagnose the issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 11 months ago #25895 by Wyvverninfale
Replied by Wyvverninfale on topic UTI\'s
Actually the scar tissue is at the urethra not the ureter(by kidney)overtime the scar tissue can sometimes build back up (but not always),the doctor told me the initial scarring happens in 15 % of cases. The urine doestn't have problems getting in the bladder just getting out. A 2- 10 ml residual would be as good as you can get,a large residual is what causes the infection(my husbands was 360ml thats a full bladder)because the urine just sits there and never empties.Typically residuals are there 50-100ml (would be my guess,the less the better) trying to completely empty once a day by taking time to sit stand? (my husband can tell this part)I read may prevents stones.

14 years 11 months ago #25894 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic UTI\'s
I know Johns Hopkins has a green light laser for removing scar tissue from the ureters.....so apparently it can be done.........Pat

14 years 11 months ago #25886 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic UTI\'s
Hmmm... This is interesting information. My neobladder was done on 10/9/08. After being pretty much fully daytime continent for a while (except when I was just waiting a little too long) I started having some on and off minor leakage throughout the day and I've noticed diminished flow to the point that a lot of it more like a dribble than a flow. Also, it takes about 5 minutes or so before I think I'm pretty much emptied out and it used to go much faster.

Wonder if I have some scar tissue between the neobladder and the urethra.

Well, today I got a with and without contrast abdomninal and pelvic CT, chest xray, urine cytology, chem panel and CBC done.

This is all in prep for my upcoming uro follow up the second week of June.

Hopefully, if there is scar tissue, it will show up on the CT scan. I can live with what I have, but it sure would be nice if it could be better.

My last uro visit was four months ago and they checked my bladder after emptying and I only had either 2cc or 10cc (can't remember for sure) but they said it couldn't really get any emptier than that.

Thanks for posting this. It's helpful info that I will certainly be asking my uro about.

Mike

PS: I have my CT scans and xrays on CD. Wish I could read the darn things. :)

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 11 months ago #25885 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic UTI\'s
carb.......can't they go in there and laporascopically remove the scar tissue blocking the kidney.????????Pat

14 years 11 months ago #25882 by Wyvverninfale
Replied by Wyvverninfale on topic UTI\'s
The uti's and incontinence were probablly being caused by incomplete emptying of the bladder due to scar tissue at the junction of the urethra and neobladder. He did have 2 urine cultures done to make sure we were on the right antibiotic, but due to the bladder not being completely emptied the uti would just continue. (a 360 residual in the office after voiding)A cystoscopy was done and hopefully this will clear up the incontinence issue and (residuals)the UTI's. I don't know why they never checked for residuals 1 month ago at our 1 month post op visit(His symptoms were there although I wouldn't have known it to be this cause back then)frequent dripping inbetween every 2 hours of voiding, which most of the time produced no stream but just dripping for his void. He had to use a texas catheter to obtain a culture. On antibiotics he could get some kind of pattern such as a void of 75-200ml and that was with 10 - 20 minutes of attempting to void. (calulating the math thats an average of 2 1/2 a day just to urinate,plus changing 12 pads)Hoping for a brighter future, thanks for everyone's tips and concern and letting me vent.I've learned so much scrolling through these forums. :)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne