UTI\'s

14 years 10 months ago #25971 by Wyvverninfale
Replied by Wyvverninfale on topic UTI\'s
My husband actually didn't have scar tissue, but a peice of soft tissue partically occluding the urethra(urine exiting the bladder)They could remove this with a cystoscope in the office or under general(it took about 5 min. under general). It sounds like many people (10-15%) have scar tissue that can be removed(sometimes this is permanent and sometimes it slowly comes back over time and need to be repeated. The resident said the skill of the surgeon is to remove the rigt amount not to much or to little of the tissue. Constant dripping UTI's fatigue were all symptoms that large urine residuals were casing.(I assume his bladder was emptying due to the large amounts of pads he was constantly saturating.(The overflow would just constantly drip with no pattern attained). The scope to remove tissue worked wonderful, We could have diagnoised it 5- week earlier if we knew what we know now. Hopefully this helps someoneelse get help sooner. Ureter(where urine enters bladder) from the kidney)(this was not our problem, however large residuals over time can damage ureters, hopefully no damage was done.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #25914 by reseda1420
Replied by reseda1420 on topic UTI\'s
Oh, yeah, I forgot all about that leakage test. I had to go and have that done before they would remove the cath. They used what seemed to a 1/2 gal of icewater into my neo. Well, it was leak free and like I said in chat the volume and rate tests and ultrasound are routinely done at the beginning of every visit. Seems like it would have to be done continuously to check with a new neo and to watch for scaring.

As far as followup, He advised me, before I left the hospital to get multiple opinions from diverse oncologists regarding a followup protocol. All were in general agreement as to starting on three months and then switching 6 months until 5 years and annual thereafter. I got opinions from three and picked U of C to do that follow up oncology check with CT scans and blood work. That result is also reviewed by my Uro. This is separate from the work the Uro does in monitoring the Neo and my progress on that front. It was weekly, then biweekly then monthly then 3 months and now is my first 6 month. Th oncology test and check was 3 months for the first couple then they backed it off to 6 months after the last time.

It seems to me that I am being followed closer.

Did you get the cathe out today. Let me know how it worked for you on Sunday.

14 years 10 months ago #25908 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic UTI\'s
Carb...have to ask who is taking care of your husband? Follow ups should go on for up to 5 yrs. My capacity was checked after my suprapubic tube removed. CT scans every 6 months for 5 yrs...Chest x-rays once a year...blood work every 6 months including a serum cholesterol for Bl2 deficiency.
Where are you located?
Pat

14 years 10 months ago #25906 by Wyvverninfale
Sounds like your getting excellent care. How often are your followups? After removing the suprapubic catheter they told us he could go back to work in one month/and to see him in 2 months.(No ultrasound or any test were done.)I read on the internet that after they remove the suprapubic catheter they run some test to make sure there's no leaking or other problems.They said no tests were neccesary and everything was going perfect.I brought in a sterile urine specimen and asked them to run it (due to a recent temp.strong smelling urine and complete incontinence, constant dripping 12 pads daily). They didn't even measure any urine output or residual. We were very detailed on symptoms of constant dripping, no pattern, frequent temps. Calling residents daily at times asking about temps.ect. when it got to flank pain they put him on antoher round of antibiotics. I am a nurse and have really stayed on top of it. Hopefully this info can help someone avoid what weve been through.I think things should be going in the right direction now. It's tough to learn the hard way but then you appreciate things more when they do go right.We have no scheduled Follow up at present. I asked them if we should make an appt. in 3months? 6months? 1year?. They said we don't need to see them at all unless we have problems. Can't change the past looking forward to the future and making the best decisions with the information we have.

14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #25905 by reseda1420
Replied by reseda1420 on topic UTI\'s
Not at Uof C. It was done in the dr.s office. I am using U of C for follow up on the cancer. I get a contrast CT of the chest, abdomen and pelvic region in the morning and bloodtests and a dr. review in the afternoon.

The rate and volume is part of my regular Uro visit in Highland Park. Kinda' neat to watch the little chart print out as you are going. I started using it at the first visit, which was one or two weeks following the removal of the cath from the hospital. It is done at each visit followed by the ultrasound before the dr sees me.

14 years 10 months ago #25904 by Wyvverninfale
Was this procedure for measuring volume and rate done @ UofC, and how many weeks post op were you when you first used it?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne