UTI\'s

14 years 11 months ago #25852 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic UTI\'s
The acidopholus or yoghurt helps repopulate your bowels with "good" bacteria.
Antibiotics can kill the "good" bacteria along with the bad.

If your husband is having fever and flank pain and those other symptoms, then they should really culture a sample to see what it will react to and then those antibiotics should be prescribed.

You have to be very careful with antibiotics so that you don't wind up creating antibiotic resistant strains of the bacterial infection.

I'd follow up with the doc and ask how the same antibiotics are supposed to fix it if it's coming back within days of completing the course.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 11 months ago #25850 by reseda1420
Replied by reseda1420 on topic UTI\'s
I was having some issues with multiple UTI, although they were not too severe. There was no pain but a little cloudy urine. My GP was giving me antibiotics and my URO was testing me each visit and also treating but suggested that not all neo's ended up sterile and the UTI's wouldn't necessarily need treatment. However if they started to get more severe they would consider hospitalizing me for infusion of antibiotics.

Please understand I am paraphrasing not quoting him.

However, I received a very heavy dose of antibiotics (type escapes me now but it was 875mg twice a day for an infection associated with a root canal. That brought about very heavy diarhea which was an extension of an issue I was already having anyway. When I called the dentist, he suggested using acidopholus or yogurt to reverse it. Frankly, it worked very well and all the loose bowel movements I had been having are almost totally gone. I also havent had a UTI for several months now. Just wonder if the heavy dose knocked it out. Will find out for sure in a few months at my next uro visit

14 years 11 months ago #25849 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic UTI\'s
carb......naturally.....cranberry juice and yogart even if you have to disguise it!
Pat

14 years 11 months ago #25847 by Wyvverninfale
Replied by Wyvverninfale on topic UTI\'s
My husband is 2 months post neobladder and seems to have a UTI that will not go away, after 2-3 days of completing the antibiotics it comes right back. Temp ,flank pain, and cloudy urine. He has been very diligent making sure he has completely emptied his bladder(still incontinent)we are hoping when the uti are cured it helps with the incontinence. Any tips for fighting these UTI's.

15 years 8 months ago #20844 by SMK
Replied by SMK on topic UTI\'s
Thank ou so much for all of your thoughts regarding UTI's. Carl, my bladder cancer survivor husband, had his neo surgery on Feb 19th and this is the first possible UTI he has had. They are sending his sample for a culture. He has never had to self-cath. In fact, he has no symptoms at all, his regular check up showed some white cells in his urine. Otherwise, we wouldn't know there was even a problem at this point.

15 years 8 months ago #20843 by SailorMan
Replied by SailorMan on topic UTI\'s
I have a very new neobladder (5 weeks) and am just coming off my first UTI.
Symptos were fever above 102 and abdominal pain. I did not recognize the pain at first as it was so similar to the "regular" post-op pain I was still feeling but on reflection, it was more pain than i had been having.

Based on the blood and urine cultures in the hospital, they gave me a number of antibiotics and when they transferred me from IV to oral, the antibiotic they gave me is Clindamycin.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne