mom\'s 1st chemo

15 years 9 months ago #19525 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic mom\'s 1st chemo
Patticake...I feel for you, it is hard to watch isn't it?

One thing to remember is that Chemo is a poison, so your body reacts like it has been poisoned...I know this over simplifies the situation, but it is the best way I know how to explain it...

She will feel tired, out of touch, and generally out of it...it is also depressing...All valid, and normal reactions to chemo. My hope is that whatever she is going through now, does the trick & that she will have good results on the other side of it...

Wishing you & your mom the best,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #19524 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic mom\'s 1st chemo
Hi Patticake,

The cisplatin and gemzar can be tough...I would get chemo on Mon, then go back to infusion room on Thurs or Fri just for IV fluids which helped tremendously. Keep up with the antinausea meds to stay ahead of it and remember that ndigestion is the 1st sign of nausea. Cold foods emit less odors and can be better tolerated, too. Hope this helps some - God Bless, Holly

15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #19523 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic mom\'s 1st chemo
Patticake...here's something you can read from the manufacturers of Gemzar..it should be helpful..........
www.gemzar.com/pat/pat530_understanding_side_effects.jsp
The other culprit Cisplatin is usually the drug that wipes everyone out and here's some info on it.
www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a684036.html
What is your mothers schedule for the treatments?
Pat

15 years 9 months ago #19520 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic mom\'s 1st chemo
Patticake,

Chemo does strange things, everyone has a different reaction. I am not knowledgeable enough on this subject except to say the ones I know who have had it here on the forum have similar reactions. It varies. The main, feeling tired thing, is most prominent. As my husbands caregiver I can say it is hard to see one's loved one feeling bad, she is generally full spirited and now is compromised by this chemo. Try to keep her in a lightened mood, get her some movies thats are FUNNY,,,,anything to keep her mind off what she is experienceing. THIS TOO SHALL PASS,,, Ginger

15 years 9 months ago #19517 by patticake1957
mom\'s 1st chemo was created by patticake1957
Hello, My mom had her first chemo last Thursday. It was Cisplatin and Gemzar. She was given Decadron, compazine and a drug that begins with an "E", which was 3 tablets to be taken one per day. The name escapes me. Luckily we have had no nausea at all. Today is day 5 and she is totally wiped out. Today we were not to take the decadron, only compazine as needed. She took a compazine this a.m. just to be on the safe side. We have eliminated all caffeine to hopefully avoid dehydration. Could anyone give me some insight on how these drugs affected you or your loved one? I called the doc and she said this was normal, to monitor mom and call back tomorrow if she felt worse. She is supposed to get another dose of Gemzar on Thursday. I feel so helpless. She is usually so energetic and now she is in the recliner feeling so bad.
Thanks for reading and hopefully taking the time to reply.
rene

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne